1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

are there jobs out there?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinkflipflop, Jun 26, 2011.

1. There isn't really an answer to your question. Assuming you haven't applied yet you won't be starting a PGCE until 2012 and will qualify in 2013. Who knows what the job market will be like then? As it stands, there are too many primary teachers and not enough jobs. At our school we had over 100 applicants for one post last month.
    Have a look at the job section in the area you are considering just to get an idea of what things are like now. Only you can decide whether or not to take the risk. Getting on a PGCE is difficult enough and places are being reduced. Do you have a wealth of experience to support your application?

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I work in North London and your chances do seem to be better here than elsewhere for the time being, though there are still lots of applications per post. Nothing is guaranteed and you only have to look on jobseekers to see how many teachers are desperately looking for jobs.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As pinkflipflop has said, by the time you qualify the situation may be different, but at the present moment it is not impossible but very difficult .
    One of my former pupils, who qualified last year, has just got a post for next Sept, having had to work as a TA for the past year so he didn't fall foul of the 16 month supply rule. But he's a young man in Primary in a school where most members of staff are over 40 & they wanted to inject some youth. Another young man I know NQT had 7 interviews before he secured a job and another colleague who has QTS but againbeen working as a TA has a job for next Sept. Now that's not bad for my rural area where generally people don't move and if it weren't for re-organisation those jobs probably wouldn't have been there.
    If you really want to work with children, can't envisage doing anything else, I'd say 'Go for your dream!', we need young enthusiastic teachers! But if it's a case of what can I do with my degree, I know I'll try teaching my advice would be leave it.
    Sorry can't offer more hope.
    Best of luck.