1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there issues with copyright/permissions?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by LouisaA15, Aug 2, 2015.

1. I tutor English. I've been working with some students (children) on whole book or literature studies, where we take a book and discuss the themes, characters etc and I set some writing tasks to work on essay skills. So far I've done this on a one-to-one basis. I would like to expand this to teaching small groups online.

I don't want to make any copies of books, students would have to obtain their own copies of novels or poems. I would need to refer to short quotes, but I wouldn't need to copy out whole extracts, just a sentence or two at most. I would be making my own resources to teach with, based on the book (for example graphic organisers to aid character studies etc).

My question is whether there is any copyright implication with this type of work? If I advertise myself as teaching a lesson or series of lessons based on a certain book or poem, does that require permission?

As we are engaged in commercial activity as private tutors does the "fair use" policy apply to us or not?

As I said before I don't want to actually copy/reproduce anything. I want to use texts as teaching aids, or a means through which to teach literature study skills.

Does anyone else teach English literature?