1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any teaching jobs for OTT's

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by cheryltorne, Jul 8, 2012.

1. I am an OTT from India started supply 2011 .....@ present working for agencies. I am looking for a long term position. I have been for 3 interviews so far , gave excellent lessons. These jobs are all through agencies. Still no luck. Is there anyone in the same situation. Are schools not employing OTT's?????

2. roverlei

roverlei New commenter

I do think it's more difficult for us than locally trained teachers, but schools do recruit - my last school had South Africans and Australians on permanent employment.

3. Yes, at the primary school I am at there is a New Zealander (deputy head) and an Australian teacher, both on permanent contracts. I'm an Aussie and I just got a fixed term contract starting Sept. So it is possible! Good luck!

4. would u mind telling where your school is? We are in the home counties and its not been good.

5. so not london then? there goes my theory-Cant seem to work this out?? where u on supply 1st- or did u do an application to get the position(tes etc)? or where you recommended?

6. Nope, not London. The Aussie OTT started as a supply teacher then moved upto a contract, the NZ OTT applied for the job while he was doing longterm supply in London. I was doing supply based at another local school when I applied for this position. I applied for the position like normal. I do know that the headteacher of the school where I was doing lots of supply did highly recommend me, which was nice.

7. Right,interesting- So I am starting to work this out-So its a matter of trust-the schools are worried about the unknown OTT so will choose the safer option (british trained) so I will have to go down the supply route ( or get recommened-which is a trust issue once again) and get the confidence of the school (where ever that is)-no more direct applications without them or me knowing the school-

8. Sorry to put another spanner in your thinking works, but I got a permanent job in the South East (not London) on the basis of a direct application to an advertised position - I had no previous contact with the school and it was 300 miles from where I was currently living (but was moving in any case). After a year I was promoted to Head of Department (without interview). I just resigned to start a new job overseas in the Middle East. (Secondary: Australian trained - Qld)

9. Interesting... How did you get the job without QTS??