1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any teachers happy in their jobs on here?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by br0wnsugar, Oct 19, 2015.

1. mrharringtonmaths

mrharringtonmaths New commenter

I love my job! I'm a maths NQT in Yorkshire. This has definitely been the hardest working year of my life... so far. But I've loved it. First batch of year 11s going for their exams tomorrow which is scary.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. minxibabe

minxibabe New commenter

I have found that over the years my motivation has dwindled. I even went onto supply but found that i preferred the interaction with the students. It has been a difficult transition but i do agree that it is dependant upon the school. I have struggled with stress and time management due to the needs and catchment of the schools that i have worked for.
    Most schools appear to have similar problems therefore that would suggest that there is not much in it anymore.

Large class sizes and the extent of differenciation can be a major cause of stress

3. RjMaan

RjMaan New commenter

Yes, I am happy.

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I love the job all the time I can keep my door locked and work with the youngsters while completely ignoring 95% of managers and their time wasting diktats

5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Yes! I love my job. I am lucky enough to work in a lovely school. The children are keen, well motivated and fun to teach (mostly-of course there are a few exceptions), the head is very fair and approachable and most of my colleagues are supportive and a pleasure to work with. I count my blessings-especially after reading some of the posts on Workplace Dilemmas. :)

6. haharr

haharr New commenter

Teach in FE, or abroad. Luckily from the responses to my job applications, mainstream UK schools don't want older teachers back if they've been abroad, and I can understand why, but that still doesn't change the situation. The core problem is the nature of schooling in the UK, which is set up to help the middle classes attain professional jobs, if any students don't want to do that, then they have a choice: to conform, or just be penned in for behaviour reasons. As Tony Blair put it "we don't want them out on the streets causing trouble" but they can cause as much trouble as they like in classrooms, it would seem...

7. maddie273

maddie273 New commenter

I am happy. I adhere to rules mentioned in episodes 91, 92 and 93 of my brilliant podcast All This Science

bit.ly/allthisscience

8. mariammalek22

mariammalek22 New commenter

I just finished my 5th year of teaching and I must say you have to be a really strong person to do it. And this is me having been a two 'good' schools, I still found some of the students to be very frightening in their behavior. You have either students or colleagues trying to threaten your job rather than just focusing on teaching, learning, and collaboration.

henrypm0 and pepper5 like this.
  9. Yes we are

10. kritisharma1

kritisharma1 New commenter

I've been Teaching for 5 years and I thought it is a nice experience.

11. cindy5147

cindy5147 New commenter

Jk

12. cindy5147

cindy5147 New commenter

13. cindy5147

cindy5147 New commenter

14. cindy5147

cindy5147 New commenter

Been teaching 24 years. 6th form mainly - love it and feel lucky that get so much job satisfaction. I get to be creative , no day the same as the one before and the students are fabulous. Great colleagues too. Worked in three FE colleges and two schools - all great.

15. CreativeADT

CreativeADT New commenter

Yes I love my job!! The kids are hilarious and the journey we are on from Special Measures to Outstanding is exciting!

16. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

With respect to the original question... for the first time in several years, I think I can honestly say yes, I am happy in my job (and yes, I'm still teaching).
    I've got no idea what's wrong with me; the kids are still sh*tes, I've still got too much to do and too little time to do it and my pay's still going backwards in real terms. I can only assume that I'm too well rested after the summer and I need to return to a normal teacher's levels of exhaustion. No doubt my school will assist this by piling on some extra nonsense for me to do.

Flanks likes this.
  17. apostrophefanatic

apostrophefanatic New commenter

Yes! I now work in a school who recently sent a policy round and the last point on it was - Go home when you can.
    ‘No one is going to give you a medal for staying late.’

18. mk0422584

mk0422584 New commenter

i know

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm happier this year than I have been for a few years

20. livingstone83

livingstone83 Occasional commenter

Loved the first 4 years. Found the 5th and 6th harder. In the 8th and thoroughly fed up.

The things I used to see as a 'rewarding challenge', I now find quite irritating.

henrypm0 likes this.