1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any teachers happy in their jobs on here?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by br0wnsugar, Oct 19, 2015.

1. tomgav

tomgav New commenter

I think it really depends on a number of factors, primarily what kind of school you work in? In my NQT year I worked in an Outstanding school. As a colleague told me, with an outstanding school comes outstanding pressure. As an Irish teacher moving to the UK and having an Ofsted in my first year with circa 60-70hrs per week, it really made me think twice about my career in teacheing. Right now I am back in Ireland & working in a community school where there is far less expectation from both staff and students but the work gets done! It's a breath of fresh air to be honest where the paperwork in minimal but job security is a massive worry because of the system we have here.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

i am VERY happy in my job, but then i have not worked in the UK for over 10 years :)

3. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

Very happy indeed, now I'm not on the Exhaustion-Recovery cycle. Left aged 55 a HoD position in a Bog Standard academy at Christmas (rife with petty but incessant behaviour problems, an ineffective SLT who thought they were great and workload resulting in 60 hour weeks) and have been swanning around Asia ever since. Zero plans to return to the UK to work, although might consider some voluntary work later on in Cambodia. Until you have been away from teaching in UK state schools for at least three months, you don't realise what you have become. I can see clearly now the rain has gone.

tosh740 likes this.
  4. clockmender

clockmender New commenter

When i meet one I will let you know! I love working with kids, but I have had enough of the rest. Will be moving on to doing something else in September, maybe in a school, maybe not, maybe a different phase or subject but different. Really interesting to hear tomgav's comments, I notice that Ireland is above the UK in the PISA tables (As it would appear is Canada, NZ and OZ ) despite having related education systems, just cant put my finger on quite why that would be. (Where do I apply for an Irish passport again?)

5. karel

karel Occasional commenter

I am very happy and love going into school each day. I can even see my classroom from my back garden and that doesn't bother me! I am not however in the U.K, and have spent almost 20 years teaching Internationally.

6. NooNoob

NooNoob New commenter

I enjoy my job very much.

5 hours a week in an extremely selective 6th Form College (Sunday times 6th Form college of the year) with kids who want to learn and managementerialism not present.

Introducing a new subject to the college so work is minimum 3hrs prep: 1 in class but I'm fine with it.

Used to run a dept and do the big hours in an inner-city !^*$-hole and was aware it was not something I should have to endure. Lucky my wife had a good enough job to allow me to cut back - others I know have abandoned the State sector and found peace in Fee Paying schools.

Those of you still stuck in the awfulness of full-time, State School teaching have my profoundest sympathy and respect.

7. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

Similar situation to @NooNoob - 28 years teaching in an Independent secondary, before retiring 2 years ago. Agree entirely with the last paragraph.

8. Samoneypennyteacher

Samoneypennyteacher New commenter

Very UNHAPPY. I keep writing pro and cons of it all and I'm aware I've a week left to decide to quit for the end of the summer.

9. isotonic

isotonic Occasional commenter

I have usually secured jobs through agencies so try the school out before making a decision to stay - in my 9 years of teaching I would say that I was happy for at least 7 of them! In between the only job I was unhappy with was the one where I resigned after taking 2 weeks off due to stress - it was a combination of excess work to mark and a poor relationship with my HOD and their line manager (SLT) member who I believe a lot of staff and most students couldn't stand!

I am now about to relocate to teach in the Middle East and so far am very happy at the prospect of living and working abroad!

10. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I love my job, we left the UK about 17 years ago, we save on average 3K a month and our kids get free education.and school finishes next week....whats not to like?

Perce

11. unfoggingblogger

unfoggingblogger New commenter

I am. I'm respected, valued and climbing the ladder. Being upbeat at work will always work in your favour.

Pomz likes this.
  12. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Occasional commenter

I'm working in a great department. The best set of colleagues I've had since my first two years. That makes a HUGE difference.

secretteacher2357 and Pomz like this.
  13. vinnie24

vinnie24 Established commenter

My school is great. The kids are sensational and thankyou after each lesson. The Head is a superb bloke always positive and enthusiastic. SLT are similar in outlook.

It a very social place with a lot going on in the staff room. The head encourages us to get in there. Plenty of food (celebrations of significant birthdays and successes) and laughs. Very collegial. Quite old staff. People stay and there is low staff turnover.

Having worked in many other schools (mainly on supply) I know how lucky I am.

galerider123 and Pomz like this.
  14. MSBall

MSBall New commenter

Many teachers are struggling with their jobs at the moment, and it's very important to acknowledge this when discussing the future and nature of teaching. The issue of whether teaching is enjoyable is another matter entirely, since this will vary immensely, depending on one's temperament and school environment.

Some of my teacher friends have said that it's challenging but rewarding, since they are passionate about their subject and have a very high tolerance for long hours and disruptive behavior. The schools that they've been teaching at also have reasonable behavior, which always helps. Others, however, have been much less positive, as they've lost their passion for teaching due to the excessive workload, micromanaging systems, and behavior issues, which are likely to increase due to government pressure and spending cuts. The schools that they've been teaching at also have more difficult pupils and unsympathetic managers, which are obviously a pain for all teachers, but particularly so at the rougher schools.

In a nutshell, other people's experiences can be helpful, but should always be taken with a grain of salt, since they're based on subjective experiences, schools, and temperaments. If you want to determine whether teaching is right for you, you must consider how passionate you are about teaching against your ability to cope with difficult behavior, excessive workloads, and unsympathetic managers. Consider which factors depend on the school, e.g. behavior issues in state schools and private schools, but also which are inevitable in teaching, e.g. workloads and parent pressure.

It's true that many teachers are struggling with these problems, and more are leaving each year, and it's important to recognize, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will happen to you. If you want to give teaching a go because you feel really passionate about it and want to believe that you can learn to cope with the problems, then go for it. If not, then you're under no obligation. If you've had some really bad experiences in teaching, but are passionate enough about it to start again in a new school, then that's a good thing. If, however, you feel that these experiences have tainted your view of teaching to the point where it's best to move on, there is nothing wrong with that, either. There is no right or wrong answer; it is whatever works best for you (and by extension, everyone else).

15. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

Great to see some really positive stuff on here. A welcome change from the moaning.

I also really enjoy working in my schools. I am lucky to work enough with some awesome staff and kids. :)

galerider123 and Alldone like this.
  16. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Occasional commenter

God, how I wish that your experiences were the norm! I am now retired but looking back, I know I made a difference and experienced great personal fulfilment. If you were fairly resilient with a positive, hard-working approach, you could have a really fulfilling and enjoyable career. Solidarity and mutual support was the norm amongst teaching staff. The accountability agenda has now become so oppressive now . Teacher autonomy is very severely restricted and many staff work in an environment of constant pressure and, yes, fear.
    This is coming from someone who always emphasised positivity and avoiding the negative staffroom stirrers!
    However, the system is so oppressive now that many of the most committed and idealistic staff are struggling.
    Many come to this site to let off steam or seek advice as there is no other vehicle for sharing their experiences. I take your point, but it could be interpreted as being Pollyanna-ish and a tad 'I'm all right,Jack' to those many colleagues who haven't had your good fortune .

njose likes this.
  17. A big NO.
    Teachers in Kenya were very hopeful 5 years ago until a new government(jubilee) came. It dashed away all their hopes and now they are the saddest, I guess on the whole planet.

18. sarah_lou99

sarah_lou99 New commenter

I do! The teaching side of things is brilliant (and easier with a few years experience under my belt...this is my 8th year).
    I've recently returned to school after a break and although my school might be considered 'challenging' it is also forward thinking and is starting to recognise that highly prescribed teaching methods for everyone might not be best for teachers or students .
    I am also trying to apply a 'good enough' approach to as many areas as possible - I am a HOD, so the analysis/ observations/ feedback can be rather time consuming!!
    I recently read an interesting article on TES about marking and feedback that made some salient points about the impact of written vs verbal in class that resonated, so will be much more deliberate in planning/taking this approach moving forwards to avoid the almost daily book carry to/from home!!
    I think if more of us can ask 'why are we doing this?' About the many and varied tasks we are told to do, to ensure there is impact for students then maybe we can start to make being a 'good' teacher a possibility again..rather than it feeling like 'surviving being a teacher' is the only way

19. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

Yes generally speaking but I've no idea how anyone copes in all the schools where behaviour is really difficult or where management have you on a tight leash. Being a smallish secondary and lots of other schools around I do feel like I'm doing 100 different jobs and quite genuinely wonder if even the Prime Minister has as many plates to keep spinning. My biggest worry is if it's sustainable to keep those plates spinning long term but I wouldn't ever say I don't enjoy it. If I ever do I'll probably go and do a single shift back in a supermarket or a day in a lab and remember how lucky I am! It's easy to get caught up in the negatives in my opinion but I do realise some people have a much worse time either from very difficult behaviour or poor management.

20. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

I adore teaching, even the difficult students, and I always will. Of course it frustrates, exhausts, saddens and troubles me at times, but everything we do that means something - really means something - involves a certain amount of blood, sweat and tears.

I am unhappy in my present school but that's more because of internal politics and trying to maintain a positive stance amongst people trying to point score.

I try to work on the theory that every time I praise, encourage or show kindness to a child, it works a spell in keeping the silly stuff away. I don't think it works but seeing them light up (even the awkward ones!) makes ME happy and that keeps me focused on why I am there.

galerider123 and njose like this.