1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any teachers happy in their jobs on here?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by br0wnsugar, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Dredd0

Dredd0 New commenter

Hi all - I have been offered a SCITT place to start in September and I am very excited and nervous in equal measure about this change in career (I am mid-40s) - but reading these forums is making me seriously question the wisdom of accepting...is it really that bad?

2. streetno9

streetno9 New commenter

I think it's the same with any job. There are days when you get all your ducks in a row and everything is shiny. Then there are days when you want to punch someone - these days usually involve an irate parent or an item on the "to do" list that never got done. But, on the whole, I don't WANT to do any other job - and that makes most of my days good.

As to a specific experience to brighten your day the most recent thing I've done that made me feel worthwhile involved some parent-teacher-student consultation meetings regarding their English mock achievement (or lack thereof). Getting the parents in and on-board (and I know I am fortunate to be at a school where the parents are generally behind me) and seeing the light of understanding dawn in the kids eyes...that they were the masters of their own destiny (cue "The Touch" by Stan Bush here)...well, they were special moments.

Stay strong and fight on brothers and sisters!
    #makeadifference

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. bitterblue1972

bitterblue1972 New commenter

I work at a school in Abingdon which is amazing. The HOD is very supportive and is currently helping me to improve my Marking and behaviour management. I really enjoy my job.....so far

4. LINGUIST2

LINGUIST2 New commenter

Hi
    Some very interesting posts here - I want to be happy in my job but I just feel pulled down at every turn so have not been happy for a while . I plan my lessons and try to motivate the kids I teach but I feel I am only getting through to about half in each class - I am faced with low level disruption , arrogance from lots of the kids and negativity towards my subject - MFL. I love teaching but am finding the large classes so exhausting - many days I am burnt out and I have been teaching for many years . I am only trying to do my job!

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

It is a hard job with a lot of issues. As is any job that is so politicised and evokes such a range of views from the general public.

A forum is not indicative of 100% of opnion. Remember that.

tosh740, Lara mfl 05 and Dredd0 like this.
  6. Pilchard1408

Pilchard1408 New commenter

I'm happy so far
    Yes there is a large workload,
    Yes the kids can be rude

But all part of being a teacher

Pomz likes this.
  7. MissCResources

MissCResources New commenter

I completely agree. I'm 7 years in and feel exactly the same.

8. vickycharlton

vickycharlton New commenter

Me too!

Pomz likes this.
  9. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

Congratulations on getting your SCITT place. I think it depends on where you work. For example, if staff present a united front on behaviour management and generally provide a very strong support network for each other, it can be very positive indeed.

10. middleschooldt

middleschooldt New commenter

No. Rude children who do not want to learn and have no idea about being independent, SLT with time on their hands to think up more new initiatives. In an undervalued subject. Roll on retirement. Unfortunately that is a long way off and not sure I will make it here. Always worried that most other schools will be no better. Grass is greener etc.

11. thewalrus

thewalrus New commenter

I like the classroom part of it. Being with the kids and them learning and enjoying your lessons should be enough but sadly it's not enough because now we have management constantly on our back, data data data that needs to be entered, percentages and predicted grades (bloody nonsense if you ask me as such a lot can affect progress over three years for example) And then there's ever more onerous - and in my view, pointless - over marking and politicians telling us we are not raising standards enough. And then...the kicking can extend to the odd parent who blames you for their little angel being such a devil. Teaching could and should be an enjoyable job. I've heard from old-timers that it once was an enjoyable job. (looks wistfully off into the middle distance and sighs heavily)

PurpleSapphire likes this.
  12. Historytut

Historytut New commenter

YELLIS< ALIS< ALPS - all these make me unhappy. They serve no purpose. Just assume all kids are weak one every aspect of study including content and then behave accordingly. Much of the REAL work will be done by the kids during study leave anyway.

13. PurpleSapphire

PurpleSapphire New commenter

Mostly.
    2 years ago I'd have said no. Considered leaving after (then) 14 years.
    Am in a new school, feeling better. Workload is heavier due to new courses and planning mostly from scratch (or at least with no published package of resources), but hopefully next year will be a bit easier again.

never_expect_anything likes this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I do not feel threatened or pressured in any way at my school - we are generally valued as people - it makes a huge difference.

Pomz likes this.
  15. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

I very much enjoy my work - I do not believe anybody feels threatened in the schools I work in. Of course people are pressured. What profession does not involve pressure to achieve some form of target/s? Prior to becoming a teacher, I worked in finance, where the daily pressure was far greater than anything I have ever experienced in education.

Try being self-employed - You don't clean enough windows, your family don't eat. That's pressure.

krisgreg30 likes this.
  16. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

You sound like me before I left mainstream Linguist2. From a fellow linguist... :)

17. Danwaah

Danwaah New commenter

Please, please, please, please, never use that sentence again. It just gives SLT an excuse to get away with doing nothing about it.

I am in the third year of teaching now since leaving my last career, and I am at my third school. I enjoy teaching because of the department I work in which has amazing support, however the one area I see education in lagging far behind is management. This is not a criticism of individual managers or a whinge about SLT increasing workloads. My first concern was on my PGCE when a guest lecturer came in and told us that management and leadership were the same thing! When a few of us (who were all re-skilling) questioned him he genuinely told us that he had been training headteachers for 30 years and therefore knew what he was talking about. To me, I can't help thinking that if new headteachers are being taught this, then how will there be change. Every school I have taught at has had major issues with low level disruption, and I'm yet to see a tough behaviour system. They just all seem to be variations of the same 3 strike system - which clearly isn't working. The problem is, being an RQT I am seen as inexperienced and therefore opportunities do not exist to put forward ideas. Why - because management and leadership, and everything else in education is not like what I have done before - apparently!

Anonymity likes this.
  18. ymizzi

ymizzi New commenter

It would be better if we were respected more.

19. bkingsnorth

bkingsnorth New commenter

I am very happy in my job. You need to be able to laugh at yourself and the situation when things become hectic and not stress the small things. As long as I know I am doing my best for the students, my school and myself than thats all I can do!

20. bkingsnorth

bkingsnorth New commenter

I am very happy in my job. You need to be able to laugh at yourself and the situation when things become hectic and not stress the small things. As long as I know I am doing my best for the students, my school and myself than thats all I can do!