1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any teachers happy in their jobs on here?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by br0wnsugar, Oct 19, 2015.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

There are good and bad days, on the whole I still enjoy it else I would leave and do something else, which would be fair to both me and my students.

Good luck to those who have identified their transferable skills and moved on when they found things too challenging, there are many ways to impart knowledge, difficult or challenging schools are but one. There are so many other fulfilling roles out there.

Despite everything there are worse jobs out there.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Certainly sounds like it's for the best. Hope your new endeavours are everything you desire.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. mr-vicsdowvs

mr-vicsdowvs New commenter

Just skimming through the comments nearest the top I can see there are quite a few from people outside UK, and in small, or independent schools etc.

I work in a secondary comp - so perhaps this is nearest to the majority of us?

From my perspective, it depends on the school you work in. I also think your HoD can make or break you.

In my previous school, which was better than my current on paper, I despised the HoD. She had no people skills and everyday was living a nightmare. My current HoD is brilliant, he has a proper grasp on reality and how to work with others. Truly makes a difference and I've learnt a lot.

I also think the subject you teach makes a big difference. I teach Computer Science, and I don't want to rant on, but this subject in particular has been through nothing but significant change after change since I started teaching in 2011. I appreciate other subjects are now going through a similar process since the Nov reforms, but we've went from one subject to a completely different subject and it has just been relentless. Colleagues haven't been equipped the skills to teach it, and it's honestly chaos.

I'm happy when I'm at the front of the classroom teaching, but the time spent doing this in comparison to other stuff is a minority, sadly.

sam604 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Joeyriles

Joeyriles New commenter

5. k8er

k8er New commenter

Yes, I love building relationships with my students and feeling proud when they have achieved something they didn't think they could do.

install and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. nthabisengradebe

nthabisengradebe New commenter

Yes, I am very happy and enjoying it more especially i'm at the prime of my teaching career.

7. wigy

wigy New commenter

- lovely concept but not always that easy especially as one gets older and more expensive!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. annajordan

annajordan New commenter

I'm happy - I love my job!

9. jacko_mdj

jacko_mdj New commenter

When I first moved from a big school (that I was extremely happy at) to the one I have just left I found the change and difficulties at the new school very demoralising for a while. After establishing myself and working up to Head of KS4 I had come to love it. Then the LCC chose to close our school site!

10. wroberts3

wroberts3 New commenter

Yes. I was very unhappy and not at all coping emotionally, then went part-time to do freelance work two days a week, and now I like my job. The distance I have on my 'other' days keeps things in perspective.

sam604 likes this.
  11. amd26

amd26 New commenter

Very happy.

Don't get me wrong, I am stressed and I moan.

When I am in a classroom, I have the best job in the world!

install and Urbanfaerie like this.
  12. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

This is exactly my thought too.

install likes this.
  13. Twinkle_toes

Twinkle_toes New commenter

I love my job-couldn't imagine doing anything else.

14. TRJ

TRJ New commenter

Enjoy teaching as for the other bits and pieces...umm

Stillstayingjohnson and hammie like this.
  15. MissSidney

MissSidney New commenter

As a career, I absolutely love teaching. Feeling like I am making a difference really makes the job for me. Unfortunately, practical struggles (such as increased workload) are really affecting myself and my colleagues, which can create quite a negative and stressful working environment!

hammie likes this.
  16. jacqablett

jacqablett New commenter

Totally agree - sad isn't it?

17. jacqablett

jacqablett New commenter

Yes but it took a while to find. Some schools are great then management changes. Keep trying - move if not. Good luck.

hammie likes this.
  18. kajalsengupta

kajalsengupta New commenter

This is exactly how I felt when I was teaching in a regular school. It was frustrating. It seemed that when I went to class it was only to keep a bunch stay put in a room. Teaching these days in regular school can be extremely stressful. I had the luxury of leaving the job as I had to shift to another town due to my husband's work. Now I teach online where I am saved from loads of correction and unruly behaviour. Then it is difficult to sustain oneself only by teaching online.

19. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

still love teaching after about 26 years or so. Hate the increasing micro management that has not improved learning one iota but has made those who are generally dire at teaching feel very important and powerful. while at the same time allowing them to spend lots of time on hobbies and family whilst the people doing the actual job are ground into the dirt.

Stillstayingjohnson likes this.
  20. swotboy

swotboy New commenter

Yeah!