1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any teachers happy in their jobs on here?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by br0wnsugar, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Twinkle_toes

Twinkle_toes New commenter

I can honestly say i love my job!
    I work in the most supportive school, and as SENCO i feel respected and listened too.
    Don't get me wrong its tough and there isn't enough time to do everything, but having worked in 4 other schools - the right environment makes all the difference.

2. cmn374

cmn374 New commenter

I think 'happy' is an overused word. I am content with my job (except when teaching year 8 set 4 session 5 on Thursdays) & sometimes really enjoy it.

3. euanholden86

euanholden86 New commenter

Some may call me naive, green, or hopelessly inexperienced. Many of those statements may be valid, since I am currently in my PGCE year in a school centred training programme.

However I've had a fantastic few months. I've been a nuclear engineer for the past 10 years who is now training as a maths teacher. And maths has a reputation for putting people off teaching.

But I've had some wonderful responses from some pupils (albeit some less wonderful responses from the characters). Such as:

- Sir, you're cheating. You're using the calculator in your head (an amazing opportunity to embed the fact that we all have "calculators in our heads").

- Sir, are you going to be our science teacher? (I was helping out with the after school science club. We were making mentos-soda fountains and I was explaining the Venturi Effect, when the pupils had only previously seen me as a maths teacher).

- Sir, I'm not good at maths. But it's OK because I do well in creative writing. This presented another opportunity; I explained to the pupil that most of the writers for The Simpsons and The Big Bang Theory have advanced degrees in maths and/or science. But also that I had been tutoring a mature student to retrospectively obtain their GCSE in maths at the age of 25 because it was a pre-requisite to renewing their contract with a large television production company. Subsequently she proactively asked me some questions regarding what she could do to ensure she isn't in the same situation. Sometimes the kids are just fantastic.

4. Googler

Googler New commenter

No

5. eeisaman

eeisaman New commenter

I have become happier in the profession over the years as I have progressively directed more of my attention and efforts to building productive teacher student relationships.

6. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

Loving working in a small(ish), private, international school in Bangkok. None of the bureaucracy, initiatives and politics of UK State Education (I worked in UK state sector for 12 yrs). Our students are eager to learn, honest, positive, polite, cooperative and impeccably behaved, and there are a maximum of 18 students per class. Our school is very well funded, we teach the curriculum we want to teach, in a way that we want to teach it. If the students and parents don't like what we do they will go to another school. So, we test our skills as educators in an open free market.
    I go to work smiling, and I leave work smiling (and that rarely happened when I worked in the UK State Sector). The sun is shining in Bangkok today, and it's 34C (again).

MIBRAHIM99 likes this.
  7. za_zeeshan33

za_zeeshan33 New commenter