1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any teachers happy in their jobs on here?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by br0wnsugar, Oct 19, 2015.

1. carla746

carla746 New commenter

I loved my job (which I did for 19 years) until I came to teach in the UK. I work with challenging pupils. I do my best to teach them modern languages. However, there is total lack of respect towards me. I feel really stressed out with chaos and constant disruption. Luckily, I have a great mentor. Pity though, I got her after 3 months of teaching. I just wonder what the problem is- is it me or the subject or the number of challenging pupils. My self-esteem is close to zero. I have been thinking about quitting the job.

2. seniorjoel95

seniorjoel95 New commenter

I teach music at a very well run school, a subject I have been passionate about since I can remember. Now I get to work with music everyday and inspire others to learn about something so close to me. For that reason, I am extremely happy and wouldn't want to do anything else.

3. most definitely. i have been teaching for 8 years and am loving every minute of it.

4. shayne_smith

shayne_smith New commenter

I've been a very happy teacher ... ever since I left teaching... :D

TCSC47 likes this.
  5. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

You beat me to it! Very happy since retiring, but I have done lots of voluntary work in poor schools in India and Asia - wonderful and recommended. The thought of going back into scummy UK secondary schools and dealing with endless behaviour problems makes puking seem fun.

6. missburley76

missburley76 New commenter

I worked in an 11-18 for thirteen years, had a four year career break when my daughter was born and have now gone back to 4 days a week in an 11-16. I have found that this has been much better from a work life balance perspective, and now do enjoy my job.

7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I'm retired and most of my unpleasant memories have faded but certain memorable ones remain. Teaching the Nuffield Science syllabuses in the 89's and early 90's was great fun because they were fun for the students. Some really wonderful class practicals and projects from the students. One I enjoyed was where the students themselves and individually measured absolute zero extrapolating pressure / temperature back to zero pressure from a set of readings they had taken between 20C and 100C.

8. tr6rv

tr6rv New commenter

The only positive experience I recall in secondary education was the day I retired...…….

9. Maryja

Maryja New commenter

Yes. I'm really happy, teaching KS3 and 4 in a small independent school. But yes, it's teaching, not crowd control. I wouldn't want the latter at all. Had a taste, in other schools, of a managerial attitude- one larff and a half was when a school told me a student and myself were "winding each other up." As if a professional teacher is interested in provoking a pupil! I was vindicated when said kid was excluded.....for kicking the vice-principal. Question: did she wind him up first? Haha I should have asked.

So, yes, if the management has the right attitude, and if parents support you, teaching is the best job on earth. If the management buys into a poor model of staff development, it can be one of the worst. Sometimes too, management are dealt a raw hand in terms of unsupportive homes, major behavioural problems and a low budget. Unless you're heroic and charismatic, and can swing your kids by the sheer force of your personality in these circs- find a decently run little supportive school.

10. andthentherewerenone

andthentherewerenone New commenter

I’m a mainstream UK primary teacher (currently Year 6) about to start my 30th year. I am more than happy in my job and feel I have never stopped learning. I’ve worked in four different schools across four different authorities and have always been lucky to work with incredibly supportive colleagues. I have always wanted to stay classroom based and never had any interest in leadership until two years ago when I became Phase Leader (still full time in class). That’s as far as I want to go.
    Teaching has changed beyond recognition since my first year but it’s still the only job I’d want to do.
    Not a very exciting post I’m afraid but definitely a happy one!