1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any teachers happy in their jobs on here?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by br0wnsugar, Oct 19, 2015.

1. mishelli1990

mishelli1990 New commenter

I am an NQT in my first school, (classed as GOOD but common opinion of staff is that it definitely isn't).

I am finding my first term extremely tough. I am already looking for alternative careers and options due to the constant anxiety and pressure the job brings. This is even with a supportive staff and faculty around me.

I am trying to be happy because its all I've wanted to do, but it is getting harder day by day.

enangetifit1 and henrypm0 like this.
  2. enangetifit1

enangetifit1 New commenter

I am happy and still happy. But I feel I need a change of
    location.

3. enangetifit1

It is well. Just keep pushing the fire will come up again.

4. enangetifit1

Just keep pushing the fire will come up again

5. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

I used to enjoy teaching, but am hoping to find a job where that pleasure returns.

annascience2012 likes this.
  6. safis_stars

safis_stars New commenter

No, but i think it's just at the moment. I am in a school that has its difficulties and difficult children. I do think it will get better but i am missing out on the support i am feeling i need from the school.

7. ultrablondbird

ultrablondbird New commenter

Yes. Largely because I moved to the private sector this year

8. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

Experience makes a huge difference. I was like you, but now I have 10 years under my belt and I feel it's better than it was. Give it a decade and you'll probably be fine ;)

9. mistermanager

mistermanager New commenter

Love-hate relationship... I love love love my subject with a scarily high amount of passion and love working with the majority of students. I am an absolute workaholic and can't get enough of it but I hate the un-necessary workload, pressure, evidence culture, ofsted, data data data, back-biting... I feel conflicted as a teacher and sometimes can't work this crazy job out!

annascience2012 likes this.
  10. roberwilson_01

roberwilson_01 New commenter

Yes, I am happy with my teaching job. I am working
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] from last 2 years and I am happy with my online tutoring job. Tutoring helps me in my personal & professional growth.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2019
  11. Footpolish2

Footpolish2 New commenter

Overall yes happy to be in a profession that I enjoy. On the positive side I've never had a bored moment and I hate to be bored,(plenty of boring jobs out there if you want an easier life). However I have been working supply for a few years now and it has been fascinating going into a wide variety of schools from private to PRU. I can honestly say that there are many excellent state schools out there, but I know that through supply and insider knowledge. Workload is a given in this profession but its how you deal with it that matters. Learn to say no sometimes, it actually makes you stronger and probably gains some respect. Do not do any work beyond 9pm (as often as possible), so that you can just relax for a bit before bed (I managed this as a single parent with a heavy workload). Do not bother getting involved in office politics. I just smile and walk away, better things to do with my time.
    I've had my moments when it has overtaken my life, but I refuse to let it do that now and can survive it much better than I did.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. joalviad

joalviad New commenter

Love my subject, colleagues and students. Hate the pressure of tick boxes and stress I bring home. Anyone any alternative ideas?

agathamorse likes this.
  13. mas_o_menos

mas_o_menos New commenter

I moved abroad four years ago because I thought I was unhappy. Looking back, I wasn't unhappy with the job but with the people who managed the school.

Since taking my job abroad, I haven't had the Sunday Night Dread. I would recommend the move abroad to anyone who is available to do so.

14. SteffenCarter

SteffenCarter New commenter

I am a private tutor & I am pretty happy with my job. I have 5 + year of experience in teaching as a private tutor
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

15. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Is anyone ever really happy in a low paid job unless they have security ?

16. cecdesigner

cecdesigner New commenter

No. I am really hating my job. I've never regretted taking employment but the place I am at now its an absolute battle of wills to get out of bed in the morning. Thankfully I'm only there until the summer but its going to be a hard push. I'm desperately trying to get out or go into another branch of education which doesn't make me loose 3-4 hours sleep every night.
    If anyone has any helpful advice on getting out- im all ears!!!!!!!

agathamorse likes this.
  17. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

Same situation for me though a little longer than 4 years ago. I was miserable in my job in the UK mainly because of a poor line manager, the school leadership team were actually pretty good, but i was so unhappy I thought about quitting teaching. Luckily I got contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn an interviewed for a job overseas and I moved to the ME and more than doubled my salary, have a job a really enjoy with great students and have a great line manager.

topquark, agathamorse and mas_o_menos like this.
  18. cecdesigner

cecdesigner New commenter

I hate my job. I spent a year teaching internationally- loved it and then had to come back very suddenly. That was 3 years ago, I've not settled. Couldn't work out whether it was me or the schools I was moving round (2 in 2 years- then supply). Currently I'm on a fixed term contract- in a good school and I'm struggling to make it work- figured the common link was me. I have 2 choices- leave teaching or find a way of teaching that works for me.
    So, I'm planning a move to SEN- first by supply to gain experience and then to try and find something perm if it goes to plan. I'm enjoying the researching and I've done some supply in SEN and LOVED it!! Its going to be an interesting year with lots of opportunities.
    But I have to leave mainstream- the culture of its my fault along with not doing enough to get students thru- i work a fair distance from home and ended up lodging with another teacher 3 nights a week (I dropped to part time because i couldn't manage it) and it put such huge pressure on me, my marriage and my mental health i now commute but now the students are getting stroppy that i don't stay till 6 3 nights a week! Not sure what more I can do!!

If SEN doesn't work- then I'm gone!!!!! Not sure what else to do! if anyone has any awesome (financially rewarding suggestions- I'm all ears.;););););)

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  19. almostafish

almostafish New commenter

Yes. Got an amazing department.

20. biolgirl

biolgirl New commenter

Yes. After 13 years I still love it