1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any teachers happy in their jobs on here?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by br0wnsugar, Oct 19, 2015.

1. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

I am sure there must be.
    It would be nice to hear some positive teaching experiences as I am sure they do exist!! Get in touch.

k8er and thepolyglot like this.
  2. Skeoch

Skeoch Established commenter

Yes.

vickycharlton and mrtomo like this.
  3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Oh yes there are!

5. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

Oh no there...

Wait, barring a few gripes I'm pretty happy. Yeah.

Billie73 and Landofla like this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Was happy... then managerialism happened.

actilly, zencat999 and Sinnamon like this.
  7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Stranger, what is this 'happy' of which you speak?

Billie73, Sinnamon and lanokia like this.
  8. singsong

singsong New commenter

I am very happy in my job. I've been a teacher for 14 years and I have not always felt like this! I really do think it depends on the school you work at.

skar, mrs_hughesh, mr-leahy and 2 others like this.
  9. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

I have just retired, but can honestly say that the 12 years I was in teaching (all at one school) were the happiest I have ever been at work. A great HoD and a real team atmosphere in my department helped a lot, as did discovering that I still enjoyed doing Maths and was able to pick it up again very quickly. OK, there were things that annoyed me, but less than in my earlier jobs.

10. pinot

pinot New commenter

Love it... But then I do not work in the hellhole of the UK

zencat999 and Sinnamon like this.
  11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes I am.
    It's a small Independent School though, where I can really 'teach' and not just do crowd control.. Not sure I would be as happy if I were coping with some of the issues colleagues are having in mainstream.

mrs_hughesh, Sci-Guy and suttill like this.
  12. br0wnsugar

This is great to hear. It must be the school that outweighs even children's behaviour.
    Thank you everyone for your responses. This is encouraging.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers New commenter

Yes. I work in a small school for students with social, emotional, mental health and behavioural difficulties. It's not perfect, no place is, but I love my job for the first time in quite a few years, and you wouldn't drag me into mainstream again!

jacqablett likes this.
  14. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Yes! I just started at a very small girls' independent and really like it. I had a one year fixed term at a very large state grammar last year with lovely colleagues but massive paperwork, 32 in KS 3 x10 and quite few instances of behaviour management issues but I survived!

Lara mfl 05 and Sinnamon like this.
  15. drek

drek Lead commenter

Depends which 'job' you are talking about these days.
    Teaching students is only half the job, after recent policy changes, including planning and marking, time-managed by myself, around my own time-table that makes me happy.
    It is the second half, which causes unnecessary stress, in a million tiny ways, often having to be done after 5 pm and at weekends, not remotely connected to my classroom work, requested at the whim of managers, by their line managers, for their line managers. (we will soon have managers monitoring and handing out toilet passes to staff, to meet their own appraisal targets).

16. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I have worked at two schools where I was very happy. The first was a comprehensive in a nice class catchment area and we had enthusiastic and reasonably well behaved children. The other was a grammar school with the same sort of students, and I could get on with the job I had sought of teaching children and assisting them into the world of adulthood..

However, upon moving to an inner city school I was shocked and somewhat horrified at the difference in the children. I found that the really big barrier to children learning was some of the children themselves, with all the baggage and poor behaviour they brought to class, interfering with the progress of engaged pupils. It is a national scandal exactly how unfair our education system is to some children and it has left me with much anger, particularly when I see the likes of Gove and Morgan using this disparity for their own gain and that of the nasty party, rather than actually do anything about it.

Instead of trying to find a real solution to pupil disaffection we are spending all our energies setting up a completely new administration system in the form of so-called free schools and academies and having to deal with constant new edicts and syllabus changes from high.

17. T_Maynard

T_Maynard New commenter

Most definitely. I'm 4 years into teaching now and I can honestly say I've never woken up feeling like I've not wanted to go in. Yes it's stressful and busy but we're doing an incredible job.

18. br0wnsugar

Thank you to the many posters.

I've been teaching for 5 years and in education for 13 as a TA, pastoral assistant and Academic mentor and can honestly say my first three years as a teacher in a very challenging school was stressful, overwhelming, exciting and inspiring but of late, I seem to be less and less motivated. I want to be happy again. I feel that I need a challenge, maybe teach 6th form English but I am not being given the chance.

Time to move on - sideways, if need be. I actually want to 'teach' not 'crowd control' the classroom.

19. Katierobertson

Katierobertson New commenter

Completely dependent on school, management and departments.
    No.
    But I just applied at a school a friend works at because it is the best job she ever had. She can't stop smiling! She hasn't complained once.

Lara mfl 05 and ldnsenco like this.
  20. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yes, yes and double yes.
    But I teach KS2/3, so not properly secondary.

If you'd asked two years ago I'd have said 'no. I am frightened to go to work and cannot see a way out of the sheer hopelessness.' Happiness and fulfilment is most definitely school dependent.
    If you want to 'teach' not crowd control, and I'm that kind of teacher as well, then try moving schools to one where you can do sixth form or try independent schools. Or maybe you are ready to think about promotion, 5 years is a good time to look into the next step.