1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any school librarians on here?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by lovingthejob, Aug 22, 2018.

1. lovingthejob

lovingthejob New commenter

Going into the new school year, it is possible that I may become the school librarian (if the present incumbent decides not to return following illness). If anyone can help, I would like advice as to what pay and conditions I should be looking for. I am currently a TA, but didn't think this belonged on the TA forum. It will be a case of school looking to me to fill the gap and I'm sure a librarian would earn more than me.

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Hx

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Probably your best bet is to find out what the outgoing one is paid - although if they had any relevant qualifications ro experience they might expect to pay you less. Our local library service is advertising for a library assistant at £18k, which by the time you pro rata it for school hours and holidays, probably isn't much different to what you're getting. (Library assistant may sound less than librarian, but our local library is staffed entirely by library assistants, although most people assume them to be librarians.)

pepper5 likes this.
  3. lovingthejob

Thank you. Yes, that's where I will start. She has had a lot of things foisted on to her and works many more hours than she should so, if it comes to it, I want to start off on the right foot.

Thank you

pepper5 likes this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

School budgets being what they are, I suspect you may be better concentrating your efforts on not being expected to do more than will fit in the hours that are paid for, rather than asking for higher pay.

pepper5 and jarndyce like this.
  5. StarbucksCovfefe

StarbucksCovfefe Occasional commenter

I left teaching to become a school librarian many years ago, they matched my teacher salary. I had an assistant, who was an ex-TA, and I'm sure she was paid her TA salary.

ETA - they were able to match my teaching salary by making me work through the summer holidays.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

We use to have a librarian in our school until we decided to refurbish it and convert it into a learning resourcing centre (LRC)- where the level of books was reduced and we installed PCs and a print hub for students.
    The libriarian (who was a qualified teacher) returned to teaching and become an English teacher within the school and we employed an LRC Manager who is supported by Cover Supervisors.

Libriarian was paid at around £21,500 per year which was the average rate back then (2011). I suspect that the salary won’t have changed as much now, if not, stayed the same.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. lovingthejob

Wow! I doubt that I would be able to command that much in the current financial climate, but this is very helpful. Thank you.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. lovingthejob

This is part of the problem with the current librarian. Our loans have increased massively over the last couple of years, as we are trying to instil a reading culture. I would only want to be on a par with what is currently being paid, and not have them think I would do the same job for a lot less pay.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. lovingthejob

Thanks for this. I wouldn't want any more than what is already being paid to the librarian as I know times are hard, but I think it is more than my TA salary.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

At the end of the day, will the current libriarian know what you are getting paid? I don’t think they will, unless you tell them! Is the current libriarian a qualified teacher? I think they may get paid more than a standard libriarian as they probably would be required to teach lessons. I know the old libriarian we had often taught English lessons but this was only on a ‘cover basis’ as their main responsibilities were in the library.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. lovingthejob

The current librarian was originally a cover supervisor, who still covered a few lessons. However, we now have a whole school reading culture under the Accelerated Reader scheme, and her job has become significantly more. It's a 'fluid' situation at the moment. A case of 'watch this space', I think.