1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any Primary SENCos on here?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NQT1986, Jan 31, 2016.

1. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Especially ones that have a virtually full time teaching responsibility!?

I am shattered and don't think I am doing a very good job! I am trying to organise interventions and track progress which is pretty time consuming (with very little time out of the classroom), but it's the child-centered meetings that are taking up all of my time. Every time I add a child to the SEN register, I need to hold a meeting with the parents/child (plus see the child beforehand to gather their views) and class teacher, then type up the outcomes. I can't do this in school time as I am teaching, so I seem to be spending every second after school doing these meetings.

Can I ask other SENCos (or even class teachers) how this works in your school-are you, as SENCo, doing these initial meetings, or are the class teachers doing them? I'm new to all this and am doing it the way the previous SENCo did it (who had lots of time out of the classroom!) so is there anything I could do to make my life easier?

I need some help!

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

You need some time out of the classroom for your senco work.
    I don't see why the class teacher can't meet the parents when the child goes on the register they should be playing a bigger part in meeting the child,s needs.
    The senco is there as an advisor. I'd ask for time out of the class.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Have you seen the document ' No one tells you how to be a SENCO ' - Google it. May help you ' justify ' (not that you should need to ) the requirement for additional time.

4. Senco84

Senco84 New commenter

The SEN Code of Practice stipulates that SENCos should be given extra time to do the job. It's an impossible task to do the job well if not.