1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any positive aspects of supply teaching?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by magic surf bus, Jan 16, 2011.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The main positive is (assuming work is out there) it is mercifully bullsh*t free in terms of paperwork and management meddling, although that will tend to pile up with longer term assignments. Planning may also feature more heavily if you go back into Primary. As a daily supply teacher you're paid by the hour so when the day ends so does your workload - in theory. If you can afford it, part time working has its advantages too. No more superfluous meetings and pointless INSET days with endless bloody Powerpoints either.

I quite like the variety of working in lots of different schools after spending many years in just one. I also like working in different subject areas to the ones I'm already familiar with. Apart from Drama. Drama cover lessons suck.

If you do the job properly and get regular work in a few schools you can build up a positive and relaxed relationship with the students, who often seem quite relieved that they've got a Supply who knows what to do, and they will welcome your return.

It's a good job if you want to do it - I just wish there was more work for all of us and the rate of pay wasn't declining.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Like magigsurfbus, I agrre there are many positive aspects to supply, WHEN there is work. Biggest problem IS actually getting work. It does depend where in the country you are but those of us, who've been in supply for a while, are seeing the way schools call for supply change radically- use of HTLAs, rather than a supply, is becomingly increasingly widespread.
    Also depends how reliant you are on a regular wage, supply can be sporadic.
    If you can build up relationships with certain schools, who ask specifically for you, it is generally easier & more enjoyable as you get to build up relationships with children but if (though don't actually remember when this happened to me!) you get 5 days consistent work in 5 different schools it is difficult to keep track of children, staff, curriculum, reward systems etc & by the end of the week you're relly tired.
    Ask around locally though- work IS better in some areas.

3. As Lara_mfl_05 says find out about the work in your area. If it's there then go for it. Also find out about the agencies in your area, maybe phone up a few local schools and ask who the use. There is a thread somewhere on here about rating supply agencies so thats always an option when deciding which agency to use.
    I love supply but I'm lucky that in my area schools are still using it and i've also found a great supportive agency who genuinely have the teachers interests at heart.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.