1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any other Support for Learning teacher out there?

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by louisecurly, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I have a new remit starting from after the Eastre holidays as 0.3 SFL teacher with the possibility of going full time after summer break. I am new to this and trying to get my head round all the new planning etc and was wondering if there are any more experienced SFL teachers out there that I could share ideas with or ask advice?

Thanks

2. Hi Louisecurly,
    It depends what your remit is-SFL in mainstream,or with children with ASN or a mixture. Also,is it mainly in-class support,or small group/individuals in a withdrawn situation or a mix? Also are you supporting maths, reading,phonics,writing,behaviour/social or all of them?!!Planning will have to be discussed with class teachers and take account of CfE.I.E.Ps will have to be completed in consultation with parent(s). Not sure if this of any help,but if I can be of further assistance let me know.
    No two days will be the same!!
    Good Luck

3. I think the advice about is more than what I got going into a full-time SfL post. You have to really take it as you see it. I started off from where the last SfL teacher left but as time went on I saw where more support was needed etc.. and changed my timetable to fit. The teachers in the school will all want a piece of you, listen to what their concerns are and judge yourself where you are best placed. For example, I've found that sometimes my time isn't best spent with one individual in a class of 30 providing 1-1 support when I could be taking a group of 10 kids across 3 classes who are at the same level of phonics for . I try to give advice and resources to the teacher for that 1 child if that makes sense. It is up to you and teachers to decide what kind of support you are giving - work it out with the teachers and keep parents informed. Good luck!

4. ^I meant to say "I think the advice above..."