1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any good headteachers out there??

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by FollyFairy, Oct 29, 2011.

1. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Interesting question!!! I have worked in 7 schools - and can honestly count the good HT's I have experienced with one finger...

2. Agree with Minnieminx - it depends what you mean by good. I have worked for 8 heads in my time and have been head of 2 schools. Most I respected, some were kind and only one should not have been in the job. I try to be honest and open about the challenges we face and what needs to be done and then expect that the staff will rise to those challenges. I give them the support I can but not to the extent that the children suffer in any way. The children's needs always come first and if that makes me a bad head in some eyes then so be it!

3. Dink_bird

Dink_bird New commenter

Nice to hear you've found a good 'un!
    I also naively imagined school management would be supportive and caring - and it turns out they are often complete bullies with incredibly little common sense!
    I am really hoping my next school has a great HT - and this time I'll be more alert to any bad signs before I accept a job..shame it's so hard to know until you're actually working there..

4. Dink_bird

Dink_bird New commenter

Interesting to hear from a HT. I certainly understand that the needs of children come first - I think one of the worst things about my experience was that the lack of support (and honesty!) from the head had made me so stressed that I knew I wasn't on top form in the classroom so therefore the kids would suffer. Teachers can't meet the needs of children unless their own are being met. I've always worked hard and been prepared to meet challenges without undue complaining, but this year has really knocked my faith in poeple in charge.
    It's a bit like the announcement on the aeroplane when you're told to fit your own oxygen mask before seeing to your childs..!
    In a nutshell, what I mean by a "good" HT, is one who does their utmost to understand what specific issues teachers are dealing with, so that they can make sound decisions about what action they should take.

5. Purplepasta326

Purplepasta326 New commenter

I thought this was an interesting post and discussion. Having been through the mill of headteachers, and having a relativly good reationship with my current head, I can appreciate how difficult the job can actually be. I can honestly say I have only ever worked for one fantastic head- she was supportive of staff and children, yet told it how it was. She had perspective. My current one does too and I think that is what is most important. Have also worked for a terrible one but wont even beguin to go there. At the end of the day they are your boss annd it is there job to run a school and pull you up if you are not pulling your weight.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

How have you quantified the 'often'? Your experience in one school won't do it. Reading posts on here certainly won't give you a representative sample.

I disagree totally. I have continued to teach well throughout my career, even during periods of extreme personal problems and stresses. I would never have expected a HT to put my needs before those of the children at school. Those children deserved a great teacher regardless of what was going on in my life and how I was feeling and so they got it. And I know several teachers who could say exactly the same.

7. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

...while, at the same time, ensuring that progress and standards improve and staff enjoy going to work.

Yes, I have known good Heads too. They do exist but the people who work for them have no reason to post on this forum!

8. Unfortunately is seems that all of the people with the wisdom and skills needed to run a school properly appear to be classroom teachers.

9. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

Well, I have liked most of my HTs, thankfully. They are
    under a lot of pressure don't forget. There was one once I wasn't
    overly pleased about and it doesn't make for happy times.You are right
    to move on - hope you find somewhere that you like and that boosts your confidence. .[​IMG]

10. I've only worked for one decent HT and that was only for a term. She was brought in as a temporary measure.
    The rest have been appalling. Totally useless at managing people or children. One after the other I have seen them bully staff, waste money, put spin on facts to suit their own needs, overload the teachers with paperwork and generally make their staff disillusioned.
    It's heart breaking and incredible to think that such people end up in jobs with such power and influence.

11. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

What is the saying... power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely..

12. I can't reassure you I'm afraid 4/4 not good so far. A new one due at my school in January - I'm hoping for the best, preparing for the worst and ready for anything in between.