1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any Christian teachers in secondary schools?

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by goodbradb, Jul 7, 2017.

1. goodbradb

goodbradb New commenter

If so, how do you share your faith in the classroom? What strategies have worked for you to allow students to hear truth in the classroom?

pepper5 and meetthehil1 like this.
  2. meetthehil1

meetthehil1 New commenter

Yes there are lots. In my school we have about 5/65. We encourage each other when it gets challenging and try to be kind but firm. Quite hard but you've gotta keep trying. Also, we will pray with each other if needed or with a student if the want.

In my classroom I just try to model the right behavior even if I screw up one day.

matthewvanmatre and pepper5 like this.
  3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Teachers should not impose their faith ( regardless of what it is ) on vulnerable people ( children) who will simply accept anything told as being truth. It is an abuse of your position.

bonxie and lilachardy like this.
  4. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

Ever heard of the establishment clause? What you are doing is against federal law.

5. FarSideofParadise

FarSideofParadise New commenter

'Hear truth'? Oh dear, I'm afraid that as an adult in a position of responsibility you should not impose your beliefs on those vulnerable young people you are in charge of. I'm not sure of the laws in America, being a U.K teacher, but it can be seen as a case of gross misconduct.

bonxie likes this.
  6. Interesting and explosive subject - my favorite! May be a better question: why are so many people afraid of religious expression, since it is the foundation for every society on the planet? Anyone want to argue with that, if so try and think of group that does not espouse some sort of religion before 1945.
    It might be easier to give you a set of links, some are religious based and others are anti-religious but all are under the law:

As far as sharing your faith, James said that faith without works is dead. Some practical takeaways:
    • Treat kids with respect by creating clear expectations
    • Reinforce these expectations with kindness and never out of anger
    • Develop positive relationships with your kids and their families
    • Listen and pray when they act out, do not judge, there might be something else going on
    • When asked directly about your faith, redirect your answer in third person, "Christianity teaches . . . or the Bible teaches . . . / be knowledgeable about other religions and discuss them fairly
    Final thought to all those who say that you cannot impose your views on children are idiots. Any one person who holds a position of authority of another imposes their views on s/he that is subordinate - some people call it rules, some philosophy and ethics, some say religious ideals. The moment one person says something is wrong and that this is right, they are imposing their views. As a teacher of 16 years, I have been imposing my views on children, as has the school, their parents, society, the government, and their own conscience. Going through every rule I have used or borrowed from another teacher and or school policy, I can provide a Bible verse and/or Biblical principle for it. In addition, I can find support from Islam, Judaism (monotheistic), and Buddhism. If I did further research, I am sure I could justify such impositions from several different religious views.
    All that being said, you cannot condemn a child to hell because they are rude to you or did not do their homework. Can you imagine if Jesus did that - we would all fry. Bible on your desk or a cross necklace? Easy! Jesus did not do these things. Jeremiah says that God's word is written on your hearts; Jesus told every Christian to carry their cross and follow him - I don't think He meant for you to drag some 8-10 foot cross to the supermarket, can you imagine how big your car would have to be? Silliness aside, you want to share your faith, you can do that every day.
    Matthew 10:40-42:
    “We are intimately linked in this harvest work. Anyone who accepts what you do, accepts me, the One who sent you. Anyone who accepts what I do accepts my Father, who sent me. Accepting a messenger of God is as good as being God’s messenger. Accepting someone’s help is as good as giving someone help. This is a large work I’ve called you into, but don’t be overwhelmed by it. It’s best to start small. Give a cool cup of water to someone who is thirsty, for instance. The smallest act of giving or receiving makes you a true apprentice. You won’t lose out on a thing.”

Hope this helps,
    Matthew

7. Actually, you are wrong and do not know what the law allows.

This does not imply that the public schools may not teach about religion. Indeed, "the Bible may constitutionally be used in an appropriate study of history, civilization, ethics, comparative religion, and the like." Stone v. Graham, 449 U.S. 39, 42 (1980)(per curiam). Schools may teach about religion, explain the tenets of various faiths, discuss the role of religion in history, literature, science and other endeavors, and the like, as long as it has a secular purpose to promote educational goals, and there is no effort to promote or inhibit any religious belief.

Separation of Church and State's main issue was that Congress (the State) would not set one religion for the country, ti was not to divest government or its citizens from the understanding, discussion, or the practice of religion. Some of our laws are either directly or indirectly based on Biblical teaching, i.e. You are not allowed to murder (10 Commandments).

8. I am credentialed in California and the UK (GTC) and have taught in both places for combined 16 years. Every British School is required by the government to teach Religious Education. I taught RE all over England for 8 years. Most schools exclusively teach Christianity and Islam - the two main religions of the UK.
    'hear truth' = interpretation - what any 'good' teacher should teach every child: provide evidence, train to analyze and be mindful of bias, use more than one source (some primary, some secondary) AND then interpret by justifying your argument and by considering other contrary arguments - school 101

9. Final thought to all those who say that you cannot impose your views on children are not being intellectually honest or ignorant of life. Any one person who holds a position of authority of another imposes their views on s/he that is subordinate - some people call it rules, some philosophy and ethics, some say religious ideals. The moment one person says something is wrong and that this is right, they are imposing their views. As a teacher of 16 years, I have been imposing my views on children, as has the school, their parents, society, the government, and their own conscience.

I am more alarmed by your view of children as being helpless and vulnerable. I would think our jobs are to train students to think:
    • consider evidence (primary/secondary)
    • consider bias
    • consider previous interpretations and motivations
    • consider ethics
    • consider your own view
    • consider contrary views
    And then, make a judgment that is backed up with reasons. If students -children- are vulnerable, well then, I think the condemnation should be on our shoulders since they are reflecting what they see and are being taught.

10. FarSideofParadise

FarSideofParadise New commenter

'What strategies have you used to allow children to hear truth in your classroom' - from this question, you are implying that you wouldn't be unbiased as you're referring to religious/christian beliefs as 'truth'. It is not considered the truth to every one. Therefore, you would be imposing your religious beliefs on pupils and teaching them that it is the only truth. Which is wrong.

Good luck with whatever you do pal. If you're that condescending in face to face conversations then I imagine no one listens to you any way.

11. theworm123

Maybe don't be so rude, resurrecting (see what I did there) old threads with no justification is poor forum etiquette.

12. theworm123

Besides if helpless children have been able to hear the 'truth' in a public school, you've broken the law.

13. elisa1

elisa1 New commenter

Hear the truth????? Are you mad?? It is not your place to indoctrinate children!! I would be furious if my child was in your class!!!

14. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Laws against murder were in existence hundred of years before the Bible was written. Religions seem very selective over the interpretation of 'Thou shalt not kill', America still has the death penalty in some states, God fearing believers enlist in the army and get a 'license to kill' from a President that attends church and professes to adhere to the teachings in the Bible. Don't bother quoting the 'good book' it will not wash.

FarSideofParadise likes this.