1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are the Professional Skills Tests useful outside of applying to PGCEs??

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Setsugetsuka, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Setsugetsuka

Setsugetsuka New commenter

So, like the title of the thread says, I'm wondering if the Professional Skills Test that you have to take to get accepted onto a PGCE are useful outside of that specific context. So, for example could I list them on my CV as a qualification the same way I would with degree, A Levels etc? I feel like it would be, considering that they show you have a certain level of maths/English skills, plus there's the part of me that's got the secondary school mentality of more qualifications =good thing.

The reason I ask is that I'm in the Apply 2 cycle of applications, I have my skills tests booked, and additionally this is the second year I've been applying for teacher training. Though it's something I really want and I am doing my best to make sure it's successful, I'm not going to keep applying and applying in Apply 2 right up to the last minute, so if after a few times it still doesn't work out, I'd need to consider my other options. So knowing this sort of thing would probably be helpful for this.

2. themidlander

themidlander New commenter

No they aren't

3. Geographyteacher939

Geographyteacher939 New commenter

I would have to agree with the above. I thought I would struggle hugely with maths, since I got a C at GCSE. However, I found the test an absolute breeze. I think it is best to keep your CV for your best work, and besides, would anyone outside of education really know what they were?

Setsugetsuka likes this.
  4. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

Nope!

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Ah, see it like the European Driving Licence exam. On their own, people study for them and they serve a kind of institutional purpose in demonstrating to others that the institution (government or school) is doing a good job. Individually, they are worthless and the people who take the exam feel afterwards that they very much wasted their time.
    In your case, trainee teachers who have to have GCSEs in maths and English anyway and in the EDL case, bemused Year 11s who can’t quite grasp the connection between the EDL test, their personal future and their school's P8 score in a PixL mandated cheating of the system.

6. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

About as highly regarded as my "Class 1 Infantry Soldier" qualification, when I left the Army many moons ago and returned to civvy street. :D

7. Setsugetsuka

Setsugetsuka New commenter

In the end, I have been given an offer for a place on one of my Apply 2 choices so this isn't really a worry of mine anymore. Thanks to everyone who answered though-it was still helpful to know :)