1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are the new English GCSE texts good examples of diversity in the curriculum?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Aug 28, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

New English GCSE texts, which were introduced in an attempt to include more diversity in the curriculum are not challenging enough in style and content, and merely reinforce stereotypes. Do you think the right texts were chosen for the qualification?

‘English teachers are warning that texts by black, Asian and minority-ethnic authors added to a GCSE will only reinforce racial stereotypes.

Last week, Tes reported that Pearson Edexcel had introduced more "diverse" texts to its English literature GCSE specification from September.

Derek Richardson, responsible officer at Edexcel, said the board wanted to make sure the curriculum was “really diverse for a wide group of people”.

However, some English teachers have said the new texts are unimaginative and reinforce notions of “otherness” regarding BAME communities.’

What texts from BAME authors would you like to see included and why?

https://www.tes.com/news/new-english-gcse-texts-reinforce-stereotypes

2. RTWriter

RTWriter New commenter

My resit GCSE English language students thoroughly enjoyed 'Beach Wedding' by Dorothy Koomson and 'Inspector Chopra and the Million-Dollar Motor Car' by Vaseem Khan.

3. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Established commenter

Surely included texts should be predicated on their quality?

4. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

Question: am I misremembering completely or have they not previously had Anita and Me as an option (pre-reforms?)?

I am a little surprised at the suggestion of Coram Boy...I would have thought that was more a KS3 text rather than KS4...