1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are the French dumbing down, or being practical?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by knitone, Feb 4, 2016.

1. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I was wondering what Masha had been up to lately.

3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Hurrah!

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I've never liked accents in spelling - apart from the umlaut, which is curiously satisfying.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Does this mean that the French will no longer be crossing their sevens and adding flicks to their ones?

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Sorry to see the circonflexe demoted. I used to highlight when I was teaching - ie replacing the omission of ' s ' in English words / old French. Call me old fashioned but I like accents.

cissy3 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

These changes have been a long time coming given that despite their vaunted metric system the French are hopelessly confused over appropriate nomenclature for centipedes.

8. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Baggage!

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I was a Civil Servant in the DHSS in 1974/75 we had to cross the 7s to avoid confusion.

cissy3 likes this.
  10. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

But without the accent, you occasionally can't understand what someone is writing.

For example in Greek, the words for orange (the fruit) and orange (the colour) are only separated by their accent (πορτοκαλί is the colour and πορτοκάλι the fruit)

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

In English the words aren't differentiated at all and we manage.

wanet likes this.
  12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

That's interesting. I didn't know that. And it makes sense.

I remember in my first year of French, our teacher telling us that an e acute could often represent an s in English.eg épice/spice, but I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head. (Not a linguist!)

minnie me likes this.
  13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Hey - I didn't know the trick with the é and the s - merci !

cissy3 likes this.
  14. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Does it really work then?

I honestly can't think of many examples (?) :)

Edit: when I said my first year of French, I meant what would now be called Y7 (It was long, long ago!)

15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Now you have me thinking ! ( some examples to illustrate the circonflexe and s though -château / castle hôtel / hostel hôpital / hospital ).

cissy3 likes this.
  16. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

I don't believe it! The AF would never allow this!

17. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

True but maybe that's part of what makes English such a horrendously difficult language for people to master and a somewhat ubbatractive one to boot

18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

?
    Assuming you mean unattractive I don't know why you think that. Anyway it's easy to understand the difference between 'orange paint' (colour) and 'an orange' (fruit). I doubt if there's ever any confusion.

19. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

According to a friend of mine we didn't know the colour orange in Britain (or at least had no separate word for it) until oranges arrive here.

20. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I suspect that William of Orange might have had views on that.