1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are Teachers untidy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by LaureRichis, Feb 16, 2012.

1. When I was a little girl in the 1960s I regularly used to play at a friend's house. Her house was noisy, messy, untidy and wonderful fun. I remember my mum being horrified at the chaos and said 'well what do you expect her parents are teachers after all.
    There was a general stereotype around that teachers were bookish types who were too busy in the pursuit of knowledge to have a tidy house.
    I doubt the stereotype holds true today. The teachers' houses that I have visited have all been lovely and tidy. Maybe I missed the piles of encycloepedias all piled up ready for some light reading!
    I have spent lots of time this holiday clearing the 'grot spots' that developed over the last term.
    So are teachers conscientiously doing lots of housework and lots of planning or saying 'stuff it - I need a holiday' and having lots of fun? [​IMG]

2. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I'm fresh back from the household recycling plant... is it really Thursday already?

3. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I strive to be tidy but never achieve it!

4. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Have you seen the chronic prograstination thread? My house is quite tidy, but only because it is all shoved in the spare room and I work PT. I have a friend who is a teacher whose house is a complete tip and it isnt a comfortable place to be, I often want to start tidying things up. Every surface is covered in months of clutter. She does however work very long hours and has a male chauvenist pig for a husband and kids who do nothing around the house. I do think that because we have regular holidays ,we do tend to leave some things for a big clean in the hols, I know I do. Having said that, I think this may make my house cleaner than a lot of houses, purely because it gets regular deep cleans. I've also got better as I got older. Before I had kids my house was a tip, but then I also worked FT so maybe that was the reason.
    My dad was a teacher but my mum in the 70s like a lot of mums was either a full time house wife or worked PT. Most women in those days seemed to be full time mums and the only fulltime working mums I knew were my 3 friends mums who were all FT teachers. Given that it was an era of house work being womens work, maybe this is where the issue happened. I have to say all 3 of these mums employed a cleaner and their houses were spotless. Also papaerwork etc in the 70s barely existed compared to today.
    I think it is probably better to ask if fulltime working womens houses are a tip. Funnily enough I was talking to someone who used to babysit for lots of doctors and their houses were some of the filthiest they had seen.

5. I am untidy- but then I was before I became a teacher ;-)

6. I've never been a particualarly tidy person either...Every now and again I get completely fed up with the mess and have a mad tidy everything up moment but it never stays like that.

7. I find all the paper that being a teacher generates hard to deal with and don't really find the time in the evening to tidy the house. However, I have spent this week tidying up the house and the kitchen is spotless at the moment! At easter it will be messy again and I will have to spend a day sorting everything out.

8. I cant relax until things are tidy, both in my classroom and at home.My OH is a bit of a hoarder and hates throwing stuff away and we do lack storage in our house so there are corners where things 'live' in neat piles but it is generally tidy.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm extremely tidy at school but our house is a complete tip, mainly because Mrs MSB won't throw away anything that has even the remotest classroom application.

And life's too short to polish the mantlepiece.

10. Maybe this is just me being my nerdy self, but I just cannot work/live/relax in mess. Don't get me wrong, I'm not OCD about it where the house has to be spotless 24/7 but I just can't have a messy house. Granted those who work very long hours may lack the time/energy/motivation for tidying up. I generally find that tidying up as I go along is best. Everyone in my home has little responsibilities which they have to do which I think is fair, rather than just leaving everything for one person to do. Then again, I happen to find cleaning and tidying and decluttering in particular very therapeutic [​IMG]
    Oh god - I truly am a nerd! [​IMG]

11. I'm horribly untidy and have been since I was a child. Doesn't seem set to change any time soon, either

12. flossy-fluffy

flossy-fluffy New commenter

Eek, I'm a bit of tidy freak. Made sure classroom was spotless before I left so I can walk into a nice, uncluttered room ready to start the day and as for my house...it is always kept clean and tidy but is gleaming now as we're expecting visitors tomorrow (yes, yes I know they're not going to be rooting around in cupboards but you never know!!! [​IMG] )Luckily, OH likes a tidy house too so we both share the jobs.

13. I am well-organised, neat and tidy - at school and at home.

14. The only thing I've ever lied about on an application form is that I have decent organisational skills. Whilst I'm not chaotic, I'm not as organised as I'd like to be. It's an ongoing mission of mine to get better...

15. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Ah... chaos is my friend. Mind you, I find it hard to work in a completely chaotic classroom.

16. I will say that I am the same here, but the technicians advise me that I am by far one of the most organised in the faculty. (They know by how late the orders come in from the others).

17. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I'm not a tidy person to be honest, never have been. However, most teachers I know have very tidy classrooms (but leave a tip in the staffroom ...)

18. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I'm a master of chaos. I'm not organised, never have been, but I'm good at operating in a disorganised fashion...

19. In dress I am always pristine. People are always shocked at how untidy my room and home are. Never dirty, always untidy unless the cleaner has just been.

20. I find it very hard to relax in rooms which are in pristine condition, tidy, minimalist etc....I have a couple of friends who have rooms which could be in new house show-homes. Horrible!
    I have some mess and clutter but I am aware that if I didn't have a sort through every now and then, it could easily swamp me...so the house is fairly clean and tidy...It gets cleaned and tidied sporadically rather than regularly, but I have an eclectic mix of 'things' around me....and I like it like that. I might have some 'muddle' but I can always find things.
    Builders who came in a few years ago asked me early on "Are you a teacher?" And when I confirmed it, one replied "Thought so. You can always tell when you are in a teacher's house..." I should have asked him to explain I suppose...but I went away feeling I was somehow lacking. [​IMG]
    PS: When visitors are imminent I clean like a char on ecstasy. (Some stuff does get shoved into the spare room...in bags)