1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are teachers the weirdest people about?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SIRFRANK, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Been at a county maths conference today-looking round couldnt help but think what a bunch of odd odd people, geeks, people who love their own voices, on laptops...HTs neurotically scribbling down notes foaming at the mouth. I like my job dont get me wrong, but these people always seem to give me the impression its their entire life and without it they have very little. I cant imagine many being much fun at the bar.

2. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

But SIRFRANK that's entirely the impression I got about YOU over your no after-Sats party rant!!!!!!!

3. I've had a few 'Stepford wives' moments on early years courses ! with everyone nodding and me thinking ' this is pants!!'

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I'm lucky in that most of my colleagues are grounded, realistic and quite lovely people, who take their jobs seriously enough to do the job properly - a professional level of interest and dedication, but nothing more. And they have a vast and fulfilling life outside of teaching.
    But you're right. Most teachers are saddoes. At least most of the irritatingly enthusiastic lunatics I see on courses are, anyway.
    Unless they're just pretending.

5. Well Razzie, we're going to have to disagree on the level of celebration after sats, theres really nothing odd about not going overboard with 11 yr old kids and keeping the event very low key
    Teachers are saddoes really,,,the over the top enthsusiasm and look at me look at me arent me and my school marvellous is gut wrenching
    As for YR cluster meetings wouldnt ever waste my life sitting round a table discussing the relative merits of gloop and construction bricks

6. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

I remember in my early days of teaching going to a twilight course and looking around at the ethnic skirts, herbal teas and back backs and thinking that I would never be like that!
    Skip forward nearly 20 years ... no ethnic skirt, but it's almost worse. I dress for school like an absolute frump with no dress sense and drink caffeine free tea. Yup, got the bad back too. Get me on the subject of gloop and I'm away for hours, and as for my new no-cook play-dough recipe ...

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

All the cool kids know that the whole point of conferences and courses are the fancy biscuits and free lunches, and nattering at the back while the swots wax lyrical down the front.

8. ha..I really do struggle to take any of it seriously..I used to find courses and meetings a total waste of time at the start of my career, these days..Im just convinced they are. Just give the handout please and post the minutes/notes on the internet please. The idea that there were over 100 teachers in the room today each having a £150 a day supply back at school and then the cost of venue hire etc-I just find the waste of public money abhorrent.

9. Hey that sounds like the really laid back, caring teachers. I prefer that to the ones in suits who worship APP.

10. Wierd yes, sly, two faced, fake, mourners just to add a few more.... any more please feel free to add

11. Now, we havent got onto headteachers yet....

12. I'd say dentists are weirder.

13. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Hey SIRFRANK! We agree at last!!! I always always judge a course by asking 'What did I come out of there knowing that I didn't know when I went in?' Rarely is the answer 'A whole lot more' . Not because I'm a super-duper whizz of a teacher in touch with every bandwagon and hoop that I'm expected to jump on or through....but because courses are the arena in which dullards pontificate, egos are stroked and conformism is validated and NOT A LOT ELSE!

14. I judge a course by the standard of lunch on offer. ;-)

15. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Although I find everyone at my school to be very nice, when I actually think about them as individuals and as people, and think about what life they lead outside of work, I agree that yes, some of them are very strange :)

16. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Gosh, do tell all Lillipad....mine seem quite normal!

17. We are obsessed with our schools; find delight only in the successes of our children; take criticism of our performance in observations personally because we throw our whole souls into the job; we spend huge amounts of time outside working hours on our jobs without an inkling of overtime; we spend our own money on our classrooms and children; hoard piles of artefacts "just in case" we need it; constantly have to find inventive ways of making the mundane exciting; work insane hours knowing the government want to reduce our pensions and make us work till we drop...all this and we are constantly told we're failing.
    Yes. Weird and proud of it. Graduates with good degrees could be in private industry earning far more money with a fraction of the stress. Weirdness goes with the territory of our vocation.

18. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

Sir Frank, you miss the point. I LOVE courses. I love a day away from the classroom even though I know that the supply teacher won't have done what I ask. I love seeing people (yes, weird people) I haven't seen for ages. I love nattering over coffee and biscuits.
    I do agree that the boring sitting listening to people telling me how to teach is a waste of time and paper and the dullards droning on at length about how fantastic they are, how useless other people are do detract but come on ...free biscuits guys!

19. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

well said, I couldn't have put it better myself!![​IMG]

20. I agree - I have often had a few 'Is it me??' moments maily in meetings, but I now learn to keepsmilin and go along pretending to swallow a lot of the hype/guff/sameold sameold:)