1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are teachers allowed to swear in class?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by bondonk, May 8, 2012.

1. Putting aside professionalism in teaching. Is a teacher allowed to swear in class? Can they swear to themselves (e.g. if they break something)? Can they (!) swear at a student if it is not condescending to them personally (e.g. what the b****y hell/f*** is going on?)? I assume you are not allowed to direct it at them (e.g. come here you s*** or this work is c***/s***, or something to that effect!)?
    Of course I have never done this! But I have heard that in terms of the letter of the law its not a criminal offence. Of course your professionalism can be called into question. But can someone be fired on the grounds of swearing at, or in the presence of, a student.? Or is it an internal school matter and up to the school's discretion?

2. Putting aside professionalism in teaching. Is a teacher allowed to swear in class? Can they swear to themselves (e.g. if they break something)? Can they (!) swear at a student if it is not condescending to them personally (e.g. what the b****y hell/f*** is going on?)? I assume you are not allowed to direct it at them (e.g. come here you s*** or this work is c***/s***, or something to that effect!)?
    Of course I have never done this! But I have heard that in terms of the letter of the law its not a criminal offence. Of course your professionalism can be called into question. But can someone be fired on the grounds of swearing at, or in the presence of, a student.? Or is it an internal school matter and up to the school's discretion?

3. I don't really see how you put aside professionalism in this context. It is unprofessional to swear at, in front of, or about students in their presence. I have (once) sworn in front of a class, it was out of order, I apologised to them and went straight to the head after the lesson to tell her in case of parental complaint.
    I wouldn't have thought a one off instance of swearing was grounds for dismissal, though it could well be grounds for some sort of disciplinary warning.

4. My personal opinion is that as teachers we are always role models and if we swear how can we expect students not to. However, I also think there is a big difference between a teacher who mutters the very occasional bl**dy hell under their breath when theyve backed the minibus into a dry stone wall (it can happen to the best of us) and a teacher who loses it and tells a student to f*** off. Besides from what I heard swearing is cool and makes you look hard!!