1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are teachers about to become the new frontline?

Discussion in 'News' started by SteveWoodhouse, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Ah so it’s the key workers fault for not coming out to be tested not the lack of capacity?!! Sounds like the usual “blame game” of everyone and everything at fault but the Government. No mention of school staff - doesn’t surprise me.

bella2891 and Catgirl1964 like this.
  2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Are schools staffed ?
    [​IMG]

agathamorse likes this.
  3. citct

citct New commenter

Testing facilities in a car park not convenient for Londoners not in possession of a car.

Ro13 and bella2891 like this.
  4. Wayne040493

Wayne040493 New commenter

Hey everyone. I was meant to be starting my PHD in education this year but this is looking unlikely. However, I have been in talks with tutors at the university and have decided to do my future thesis on COVID-19 and education. If you are a teacher or involved in education . Would you be able to fill out my anonymous survey?

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/YRJ9GBD

TheHeadteachersOffice likes this.
  5. elenaro

elenaro New commenter

Seriously, do people not understand that primary schools are, and have been open?? throughout the whole "lockdown", including school holidays?
    We were directed to stay open for vulnerable children and children with at least one key worker parent- social distancing is impossible within the context of teaching and learning in school. Are children aged 4-11 best at keeping good hygiene or social distancing? Primary school staff have not been granted any leave from the front line, we have already been in "mockdown". What will happen when we go down?

Sally006 likes this.
  6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Let's face it, ever since older teachers were branded as "enemies of promise" by Gove, us oldies have been on the hit list for dismissal and redundancy by enthusiastic SLTs. Covid-19 will just complete Gove's master plan.

Alice K, Mrsmumbles, manf and 2 others like this.
  7. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Presmably you have seen this today?

8. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Article in The Telegraph last week, calling for teachers to show courage and return to classrooms, now:

Screenshot_20200429-174409_Samsung Internet.jpg

agathamorse likes this.
  9. roobarb52

roobarb52 New commenter

So it looks like Teachers will be having to face many young people in close proximity sooner than later. I want to know why children are not being tested I want to know which of them has it or not! I’m over 60 and a lot more vulnerable of serious illness than any of them! I’m not alone in worrying about this and the prospect of contracting this awful virus. Will we be having to push them away with a pointy stick! Children are not good as being socially distant in a school, and it’s also easy to forget for an adult too, and keep your distance.

10. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Whoever wrote that article is bonkers!! Totally lacking in imagination and clearly unaware that schools are open and that teachers are currently going in to care for the children of other key workers with zero PPE. It’s the general tone that teachers need to be brave and do their bit - what do they think we have been doing for 6 weeks?

interestingly I heard an interview with a young Dr who was concerned that the Thursday night clap and adulation was actually a public acceptance that they were heroes putting themselves at risk totally detracting from the point that they should NOT be unprotected and exposed with inadequate PPE. There will never be zero risk in schools or hospitals but to some who imply teachers are weak and cowardly by not going into cramped over crowded classrooms without any protection, is quite frankly shocking. It reveals the utter ignorance of what teachers do and total contempt. I’m shocked.

KLS749, agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  11. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

Yet again school staff are being told we owe it to the children. If I had a pound...

KLS749, agathamorse and blushingberry like this.
  12. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Wouldn't it be lovely for someone to say "We owe it to our, hard working, dedicated teachers...."!!!

I'm happy to go in if needed, I did it before Easter with keyworker children but we need to feel valued occasionally, not just a means to an end.

Lalad, Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  13. galanidt

galanidt New commenter

I'm happy to go in when you can sensibly maintain social distancing. I go in once a week for keyworker children and even with 10 people in a class (years 7 and 8) it's impossible.

Lalad and agathamorse like this.
  14. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I have said in this on other threads....the chief thing that children are missing out on is the learning they receive from interacting with each other and the social skills they acquire through interaction with peers and staff. With a 2 m social distancing rule in place, that will be the hardest lesson.

15. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The social distancing is impossible if the idea is they never break the distance (particularly primary schools). But no assemblies, staggered breaks and such will help at least a little.

The only good thing now is we have a couple of days (Thursday I think?) and we will know if there is some kind of re-opening in June or if not then, it cannot really be before Sep 1.

At least we will know.

16. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

To be honest, as time has gone on with the handful of kids we’ve had in, social distancing has slipped badly, and that’s with a small fraction of the school.

Every school will be different. But I suspect for many schools the only way to not have social distancing but being breached at break and lunch will be to not have break and lunch.

Get the kids in for half days.

I’m well aware that this doesn’t help on the ‘babysitting’ front.

17. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I don't think half days would work. Maybe a phased return could involve splitting classes into 3 groups of (roughly) 10 to enable social distancing, then

Week 1 - group A in Mon to Wed, group B Thurs to Fri, group C at home
    Week 2 - group C in Mon to Wed, group A Thurs to Fri, group B at home
    Week 3 - group B in Mon to Wed, group C Thurs to Fri, group A at home

Each group would spend 1 out of 3 weeks in school in total, but it would be a gradual return to spending the whole week in school.

Has a few pitfalls though - parents needing to get back to work might not like it, plus teachers would need to cater for those in school as well as those at home.

Mrsmumbles and Outdoorman like this.
  18. BethAh13

BethAh13 New commenter

I've written a song for primary pupils called 'You are the colour in the classroom'! Please see what you think and share with your pupils.

Lalad likes this.
  19. Outdoorman

Outdoorman New commenter

We have looked at a similar programme and one just based on two teams of 15 pupils as that's the pupil numbers recommended in the Government Guidance, this would give us one week in, and one week out. Forget social distancing in classrooms, we all know it cannot be done with 10 pupils let alone 15.
    Then there is the problem of staffing as the Government want teachers and support staff only to teach ideally one group. So if in that group somebody becomes infected it is likely only that group will be affected. Our serious issue is now staff......we have 20% of the staff either Clinically Extremely Vulnerable or Clinically Vulnerable. There is not enough staff to go around especially if the Government say other year groups can come back in mid June. On a two form entry using year R,1 & 6 plus we would need 6 teachers + 6 support staff + 2 teachers + support staff for the children of key workers, this does not even include the pre school nursery that also has to open.

PeterQuint and agathamorse like this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Stupid ****! Experienced teacher, is she? Nope!

agathamorse likes this.