1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are tankinis 'safe' to swim in?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by millymoodle, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Or do they ride up in the water? Really don't want to be flashing any spare skin! I quite fancy one because my top is 2 sizes bigger than my bottom half and I thought I could buy 2 different sizes but I like to swim. Anyone frolicked in the waves in a tankini?

2. I was wondering about this too. I have visions of the top half filling with air and ballooning out, resulting in me doing a rather fetching impersonation of a jelly fish.

3. That is rather similar to the image I have in my head too. I imagine the top being a bit too mobile...maybe I should stick to a one piece

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I've seen a few tankinis at the pool, with no unusual sea-creature effects.

Don't choose yellow though...

5. No, a good one does not ride up.

6. Excellent advice - don't want to look like a dollop of custard in the pool

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

And be wary of white.

8. They are great for swimming so long as you have the right size. They tend to ride up when swimming if they are too small, so make sure that you do a lot of moving around when you try it on (bending and stretching and suchlike). When I went down a dress size in normal clothes I bought a smaller tankini (like someone else on this thread my top and bottom halves are different sizes) - the pants were fine but the top was just a wee bit too small and rolled up once I started swimming. Just need to lose a few more pounds...

9. ooo yes - that brings back horrible memories of a friend emerging from the sea like Ursula Andress thinking she was so cool but her cozzie was transparent.Never a good look

10. Thank you dinx67 - I'm assuming you can buy the tops and bottoms separately and they don't have to come as a set? My problem is I have big boobs so shops don't usually stock my size so I'll need to mail order and will just need to guess then send back the rejects.

11. It might be worth a buying bra sized, mix and match, tankini like they do at Bravissimo - that's what i wear in the pool and on holiday

12. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I seem to remember debenhams did them in black a few years ago which was very good value (plenty of lycra to stretch around you).

13. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

It's all I ever wear and I scuba dive in them too. No flashing if you buy right. I always look for underwired ones think figleaves have a few x

14. I like the look of Fantasie ones (have some bras), under-wired and cup sized. I like the ones with plain black bottoms and coloured tops.
    On another note - have you seen the prices of some cozzies £125+! For that I'd want a nice toned young-ish man to rub sun cream in my back while I wore it

15. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Lol or a free hol with every purchse. I think the ones I have are la sense and lepel (not sure if that's thecorrect spelling) xx

16. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Debenhams did / do have ones for larger chests!!