1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are student teachers favoured candidates for interview?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by purple sparkle, Mar 28, 2012.

1. purple sparkle

purple sparkle New commenter

Hi,
    I am currently in my third year of teaching. I successfully completed my NQT year last March after a really bad start at a really unsupportive school back in 2009-2010. I was forced out of the post. I finished a temporary contract at a good school which took me on and allowed me to complete Induction last August and started my current post. Unfortunately I found out a month ago that this contract (also temporary) was not going to be extended due to decreased student intake and budget cuts. So as a result I am looking for a new post. I have applied for 7 different jobs this month and attended my first interview today. I did not get the job but the head of department was impressed by my HINGE question, differentiated tasks and use of AfL. I am still waiting on proper feedback. Two trainee teachers were put through for the final formal interview and the rest of us (5 candidates) were sent home. Apparently they both taught outstanding lessons according to the new ofsted criteria.I feel that would be extremely tough for a trainee to do. However I wonder if they made it to that because they showed potential but were also cheap? It does make me wonder as one experienced teacher who was on long term supply at the school was also sent home. In addition, most trainees had also attended interview before. One girl doing GTP had only applied for 5 jobs but got 4 interviews out of those! Lucky.
    What do you think about NQTs and the possible advantage for shortlisting and getting the job?
    Thanks.

2. likejesus

likejesus New commenter

Experience is not necessarily equal to ability. Very often there's a correlation, but it does not have to be so. It is entirely possibly that the two student teachers simply taught an outstanding lesson. As a student teacher myself, we're well used to teaching under pressure and preparing meticulously for each lesson, so it seems quite reasonable to expect that student teachers may well find it easy preparing and delivering an interview lesson too.

3. But as my current head recently pointed out, as an experienced teacher, I'm not exactly cheap anymore. The reality is I would have to teach an "outstanding" lesson to be selected over a "good" student. I am surprised you feel that preparing an interview lesson is easy though. As an experienced teacher I find preparing an interview lesson quite challenging as planning for the needs for children I don't know isn't easy for me. I find it difficult to see why it would be any easier for a student? I am used to being observed, and actually find it easier than I used to as a student.

4. I am in my fourth year of teaching on long term supply for a year at my current school and have been for 3 interviews in the last 2 months losing out each time to NQTs. I am losing the will to live reagrding this and my confidence has taken a massive knock. Any advice on what I could do to secure a permanent job teaching secondary English? The last interview I went to the feedback I was that they were impressed with my lesson but at the end of the the day they had to chose someone and a decsion had to be made albeit a difficult one- not entirely helpful.

5. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Most schools want a balance. Since inexperienced teachers are only inexperienced for a few years at the most, departments tend to be weighed in favour of experienced teachers. These have great knowledge and often are very good teachers, but NQTs often are extremely enthusiastic and have up to date knowledge of OFSTED criteria, as well as offering something new and fresh.
    I have never, ever heard cost mentioned when shortlisting or interviewing - ever. NQTs won't be cheap for long, after all!
    My tip would be to really emphasise how much you are worth and the brilliance you can bring to the department! x