1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are some people stupid or do they just not care?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlejackhorner, Sep 21, 2020.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

The news about how Covid is spreading again is worrying and obviously (to me) we need to think carefully about how we act in order to control the spread. However, recently I have observed behaviour that makes me question what makes people tick. A local newspaper reported a story of a hairdresser who has a poster saying Covid free zone. No masks allowed as it doesn't exist. Yesterday I noticed a very lively pub with loud music. Lots of people were gathered in the outdoor area singing, dancing, standing, hugging and talking loudly as if they didn't have a care in the world. Today, in the supermarket, I saw a lady greet a man she clearly hadn't seen for a while with a big hug. These people were not youngsters- probably in their 50s. It made me think, do people really not understand the social distancing message or do they think that no one is going to tell them what to do? If this is typical then there is no chance of controlling this virus at manageable levels is there?

strawbs, ajrowing, Jamvic and 5 others like this.
  2. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

What this place needs is more threads about how awful, stupid and bad other people are.

3. littlejackhorner

I do understand why you have said this but have we ever experienced anything that has affected our lives like this before? Naturally many of us will ask questions about how infections increase, how we can individually have some level of control and how we can comprehend the actions of those that we perceive as threatening our health.
    The newspapers are full of similar stories and questions so the topics on these forums are not unique to Tessers.

JaneBennet and sbkrobson like this.
  4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I don't think it's wanton stupidity - it's a combination of things. We've been given so many contradictory messages, we don't know what to think anymore. And we're fatigued. And we sometimes forget. Or we'll take a calculated risk.
    Of course, there are some idiots out there, but most of us are trying to do our best.
    And the thought of going through it all again... No wonder people want to let off steam.
    Just do what's right for you, and avoid people and places that pose a threat to you, whenever possible.
    It's all any of us can do.

5. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

Changed from "other" in original by me

Certainly in 30+ years at the chalk-face in English state secondary schools I had plenty of opportunities to reflect in these truths.

So the behaviours which I see and hear of and on which the OP is predicated are, at least for me, no surprise.

None whatsoever, in fact.

Bungie likes this.
  6. littlejackhorner

Dunty once again the voice of common sense and reason.

I suppose the reason I felt despairing of this type of behaviour is the thought of going through all this again, when I have done everything possible to keep my risks and my risk to others low.

LiamD, Lidnod, annie2010 and 4 others like this.
  7. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

The behaviour of people on the bus just drives me mad. Putting masks on just to pass the driver, then removing them as they sit down, removing masks to have conversations, or talk on the phone. Long loud mask free conversations, spreading droplets all over the place, and its the same people who fuss about feeling a bit chilly because the windows are open.

8. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Established commenter

The messages have been so mixed and vague that I think some people don't trust the advice.

Remember that we were told not to wear masks at the start of the pandemic by the WHO. I assume that was to save them for essential workers but that wasn't the message sent out, the simpler "masks don't work" message was sent out.

It does annoy me when I'm on the bus with multiple clearly healthy people without masks though.

9. butties

butties Lead commenter

There may be multiple people but how can you tell they are "clearly healthy"?

Jamvic and smoothnewt like this.
  10. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Established commenter

Maybe it's just me being prejudiced but muscle men fresh out of the gym or manual labour job doesn't scream "respiritory problems" to me.

11. WB

WB Star commenter

I'm not sure I agree with this.

If we're going to beat this thing, I think we all need to see the bigger picture and do what's right for benefit of everybody or at least as many as possible.

12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It screams toxic masculinity.

Kandahar and nizebaby like this.
  13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Is this a serious post or a wind-up? :confused:

These are the very people I'd be worried about being asymptomatic and passing it on.

14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

All very well until you want your boiler, electrics or car fixed.

Kandahar likes this.
  15. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Thankfully I haven't seen any of that on the buses here.

16. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

The answer to the OP's question is in the queston.

Some people are stupid. Some people just don't care.

The injustice, however, lies in the fact that the stupid and selfish will infect and kill the intelligent and prudent, so that by Darwin's well-known evolutionary principle the stupid and selfish will come to predominate even more in society. On the whole I am glad to be a great deal nearer the end of my life than the beginning. I think life in the world in which my grandchildren are growing up will be a great deal less worth living than mine, on the whole, has been.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I agree... there isn't enough hate out there. We need more of it...

And more people willing to police other people's behaviour... those people are always the most valuable to society after all.

[​IMG]

artboyusa and Kandahar like this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And of course you are one of the intelligent and prudent... and the other side are the stupid and selfish...

Covid = modern day morality play.

"Be on the good team and win prizes!"

josiee99, artboyusa and Kandahar like this.
  19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Surely that is precisely the problem depicted in the OP?
    It certainly doesn't solve it.
    By "doing what's right for me" I give myself unlimited license to ignore the bigger picture which compels huge numbers of people to do what is not right for themselves personally;that's just dandy for a greedy virus which has no propensity to self-limit.

In answer to the thread title, no, I think people often do not care beyond just themselves and probably their families and friends and cliques. Try to break into that and defensiveness,even attack, sets in.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    JaneBennet likes this.
  20. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I meant in terms of avoiding the idiots. Keep yourself safe, thereby keeping others safe, too.