1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are Scotch eggs better in Scotland?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Oct 24, 2020.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Still fascinates me how they get the egg in there but not long enough for me to stop gulfing it down.

Love 'em. Just killed two with a cup of coffee. Bliss.

Where are the best ones made? I am willing to travel.

Jamvic and primarycat like this.
  2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I've read about the warm, freshly made ones with a soft boiled egg in the centre. Not met one yet. But one day....

Jamvic and dumpty like this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Rather than originating from Scotland as the name suggests, the word “scotch” originates from “scotched”, meaning processed.

Best I have had were home made at The Rose public house, Shotley Street, Ipswich.

4. primarycat

I think Fortnum and Mason claim to have invented them. If I'm remembering that correctly.

Jamvic and nomad like this.
  5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Knock me down with a feather - never realised that, have to say.

Not too far, up the A12 from London. Bit better than going to the Orkneys.

Man, these (and @nomad 's )are the facts that could win you a million on the quiz shows.

jellycowfish, nomad, sodalime and 2 others like this.
  6. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Scotch eggs are an abomination and a crime against food.
    Tasty, though.

maggie m, peter12171, nomad and 4 others like this.
  7. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Scotch eggs are sadly on my, ever increasing, list of food items that give me indigestion. I used to quite like them, especially freshly made with runny yolks.

03528041-A6A9-4F0F-89D4-7FB7F0A3D7AF.jpeg

8. primarycat

My sympathies.

Jamvic likes this.
  9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Random food items suddenly not agreeing with your digestive system as you get older is one of those things no one warns you about. You never know when your last scotch egg, chili con carne, curry or Brussel sprout may be, so enjoy them while you can.

Edit: Just thought, I should have posted this in the ‘what would you tell younger people’ thread.

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

My understanding is that Scotch Eggs originated in a greasy spoon cafe at Scotch Corner in the mid-1700s when a breakfast went wrong and was the consequence of someone arriving at the last knockings asking to be fed whilst the cook was washing up. The sausages spit, the fried egg went hard, but they were the last sausages and egg the cafe had, so the cook wrapped them together to make something vaugely presentable and it went down well enough for someone who'd travelled up the Gurt North Road, setting off in plenty of time for breakfast but got delayed by an absolute pillock driving the horse and cart version of the modern day SUV having a crash and causing a tailback to Leeds. Much as still happens to this day.

Anyway it would be called a Scot's egg if it originated in Scotland and be smothered in haggis mix rather than sausage, wouldn't it?

I can remember we were occasionally served them for school dinner, along with accompaniments that escape me now and were something we were delighted to see on the menu, however I have to declare my disappointment in them as an adult. It would be fascinating to know whether the school canteen cooks prepared them themselves as they did all the other dishes, or whether it was the one day of the month they had an easy life by having prepared Scotch eggs sent in and all they needed to do was removed them from the packet and pop them in the oven.

It seems light years away now that it was the norm for schools to be fed decent food, supported by a government that felt every child, no matter their home circumstances need never starve so long as they were in school.

I hasten to add before nomad calls this a Tory bashing post, that it is in fact, a Labour promotion post, because I remember it being at a time that Labour was in power, but it's quite possible the school and canteen was built in the Macmillan days when Tories showed a modicum of compassion for the people that elected him.

Can you imagine modern politicians having the foresight to ensure schools had proper facilities onsite, staffed by competent cooks who would do their utmost to make sure no child ever went hungry or suffered the malnutirition that gets blamed on todays parents?

School dinners cost a few old pence a day when I was a kid, despite the school having an army of cooks to prepare them. If it was affordable in the 60s, why isn't it now that everything is so much more efficient?

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

In our house!

dumpty, primarycat, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  12. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

What's the recipe then?

colpee and Jamvic like this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I believe it was a shilling when I was at primary school. Not sure, as I was on free school meals.

Some.

At my primary (in Wandsworth) the meals were cooked in a central kitchen somewhere and then arrived at school having toured the neighbourhood in a set of aluminium buckets and galvanised bins. The meals didn't exactly benefit from the journey and were served straight out of said buckets.

My most memorable meal was the cauliflower cheese in which I found a complete huge boiled caterpillar. Not a cabbage white, either - something like an elephant hawk moth! It put me off cauliflower cheese for years.

14. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Are you sure it wasn't an armadillo, nomad? They live in cauliflowers and often get caught out by overzealous cauliflower harvesters who don't give them enough time to fly away

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D

16. primarycat

I'll be round.

colpee likes this.
  17. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I thought an armadillo was medium sized mammal. Must have been a substantial serving of cauliflower cheese to conceal one of those.

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Mrs B and I were in Stow on the Wold a couple of weeks back. The pub/B&B we stayed at did scotch egg as a starter on their menu. It was sublime. Cumberland sausage meat and the egg inside was still runny! How do they do that? The pub was The Bell.

I always reckon a well balanced diet is a pork pie in one hand and a scotch egg in the other!

maggie m, colpee, dumpty and 3 others like this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Once the egg is soft boiled it goes into an ice bath to stop the residual heat cooking it through. I have never managed to master that and either end up with uncooked sausage meat or hard boiled egg.

primarycat and blazer like this.
  20. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

you must be thinking of the marmadildo, which is pink and flightless like a large hubba bubba bubblegum.

racroesus likes this.