1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are Schools Hiding Bad Behaviour from OFSTED?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Tom_Bennett, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

It's a curious thing, that someone would deny that this kind of thing happens. As it goes, I've seen it happen in schools. The idea that such a thing would be impossible because it would be a public scandal assumes that it would be viewed as scandalous by many schools. It isn't- many schools would see this as absolutely normal practice. Right or wrong, it's common. Denying it, is akin to imagining that MPs wouldn't, say, fiddle their expense accounts, because that would be just dreadful.
    There's an interesting account on the website you indicate, where a correspondant claims that it couldn't happen because it would require an extraordinary level of collusion to maintain. Quite amazing how misinformed non-school staff can be about schools, and yet still presume to carry the tablets down from the mountaintop.
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/

2. It's OK, I can clear this one up.

No, schools would never hide badly-behaved pupils away because they wouldn't need to. Poor behaviour is caused by poorly planned lessons, so since everyone will be planning hard ahead of an OFSTED visit, the teachers are guaranteed good behaviour on the day. The badly behaved pupils are only bad the rest of the time because the teachers don't try hard enough. When we had OFSTED, I never heard comments along the lines of 'Well, we'll keep Tony in Inclusion today because the inspection might be a bit much for him', and my friend who'd been through it at her previous school never reminisced about the lovely day she had, being bunged a few quid spending money to take the EBDs on a research visit to the local leisure centre.
    I hope everyone is clear about this now.

3. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

I hope you're kidding Eclipse01.

4. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

I am not convinced it is...

5. Yes, it happens, of course it does. It's easy for a secondary school to fudge the issue with 10 or so more difficult pupils when they get rumbled, and 9 times out of 10 they do. For example, when a lead inspector goes to the HT with a list of 10 Y11 pupils saying 'OK, so where's this lot then?' It's very easy for the HT to say they've been given a unique opportunity to do some work related learning, co-incidentally on the days of the inspection. This sort of thing goes on all the time but it makes little difference to the outcomes. If behaviour is bad, nothing's going to change particularly by sending home a few.
    The more blatant attempts to hoodwink inspectors tend to backfire. At the risk of sounding anecdotal, as an AST I remember refusing to go into a neighbouring school during an inspection to fill in while the school sent home 15 teachers on garden leave. Some did go in, parents phoned ofsted en masse and the school hit the press then special measures.

6. casper

casper New commenter

Ofsted in equals a military operation. No one has any frees, they do not exist. This means that everyone who has a PPA is out around the school ensuring that ofsted do not see what is usually happening around school. Ofsted go and it is back to the way it was before. Sound familiar?
    ?

7. Yep

8. I have never seen it therefore it cannot possibly happen. I never will see it.
    I'm quite sure that going round with my head in a bucket of sand is nothing to do with this at all.

9. I particuarly liked this bit:
    "..... is the sheer naivete of believing that a school where behaviour is
    poor can be transformed by the absence of one or two teachers and half a
    dozen pupils."
    obviously never come across the 90/10 rule.