1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are schools doing enough to promote apprenticeships?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 22, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Ofsted believes that schools are partly to blame for the poor take up of apprenticeships. But is this really the case?

Do you agree with Ofsted that many schools are failing to prepare young people for the world of work? If so, why is this the case?

Are schools merely an easy scapegoat for fewer young people taking the apprenticeship route?

Maybe the blame should be aimed at society and employers who probably fail to take this route into employment seriously or do not give it the same weight and educational standing as academic based qualifications.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...ools-not-doing-enough-promote-apprenticeships

What can be done to change attitudes about vocational options into work?

2. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

It makes you want to weep, it really does. Just what planet are these people on?
    Are they really saying that the purpose of schools is to push their students where they think they ought to go? Don't the students get a say in their future? It's also funny how it is the schools that have to do this and never anyone else.

The reason most students don't go into apprenticeships is because they recognise rubbish when they see it. Most apprenticeships are that in name only, they offer nothing of value.
    The question should be: "What are the apprenticeship providers doing to attract recruits?"

If employers wants skills they need to be clear what they are and then value them when they are offered. All I hear from employers is:"we want skills". But what skills and what are they doing to train and induct new employees?

Education is for life not just for school.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I don't know, because I'm not working full-time in a school any more - but wasn't there talk under Gove of schools being judged on how many pupils they sent to university, especially Russell group ones?

Those in charge of education need to make up their minds exactly what they want schools to do - and I'll add that the EBacc isn't exactly conducive to pointing kids at apprenticeships.

irs1054 likes this.
  4. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Agree completely. Basically flavour of the month. Schools need to this, schools need to that, all change.

It's also the pressure groups. I remember, in the 90s, hearing such a group on TV saying that primary teachers should be responsible for putting sunscreen on the kids before they go out to break on a sunny day. Can you imagine the scene?

Basically the government doesn't know what it is doing it just tries to make what it thinks are the right noises at the right time.

Middlemarch likes this.