1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are schools back?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by skellig1182, May 22, 2020.

1. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

Hey,

My maternity doesn’t end until after half term but I got an email from the PA saying she was expecting to see me back this week and hoped I was ok. Really strange because as far as I’m aware the teachers are at home. One of them is waiting to hear from the head about what’s happening on first of June and the head has been doing zoom meetings with teachers. The head emailed and said it’s unlikely that the school will open on 1st of June as governors voted no and the parents have said they won’t be sending their children back yet. The head said something about teachers popping in the week beginning the 1st to make some home learning packs.

I’m really confused as I’d imagine the PA is up to date with what’s going on and must know teachers are not in school?

Schools are open for just vulnerable and keyworker children at the moment aren’t they? We have about 5 but they are looked after by senior staff and additional support staff. xx

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well most teachers I know still teaching (as opposed to being retired) are still on a rota system taking turns looking after Key Worker children or providing online support to children at home. Even doing both.And often teaching in other age-ranges to which they normally would.

Presumably whoever was employed during your maternity leave was taking their turn and as they will now be unavailable will need someone to fill that place.

Perhaps reply saying that your maternity doesn't actually finish until xx xx xxxx and that you will be available from xx xx xxxx.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

You're on maternity leave. The PA is confused. As suggested above, reply politely and factually, saying when you'll be returning..

agathamorse, Lara mfl 05 and strawbs like this.
  4. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

Hey, the only staff that are in are the head and Deputies. There are a few children in, sometimes none. It’s an infant school. I spoke to my teacher friends at school and they’ve all been told to stay home. They have been told they might need to pop in once after half term to create a learning pack but that the school will be closed to most. x

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would just reply and remind the PA you are on maternity leave until Z/06/20 and will email her on that date for instructions on what you need to do.
    Teachers are at home, but they are still working.
    If your maternity leave finishes you will need to 'return to work' in some way.

Piranha, agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.