1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are schools allowed to do this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by adamadams, Dec 13, 2019.

1. adamadams

adamadams New commenter

I'm an NQT and these past 3 months have been a real struggle, the head teacher seems to absolutely hate me. She hates everything I do and even when I think a lesson goes well she'll go off about how awful it is. My stress and anxiety levels have been going through the roof to the point where I start to panic everytime I hear her voice down the hall. I don't know why she hates me so much, especially since I've felt like I've been adjusting and improving recently.

Just today I was told that starting in January they're going to have a supply teacher teach my class for 2 days a week while I be the one to one for my autistic student, and not only that but the supply teacher will be doing all of the planning and will have the PPA time instead of me. I didn't even know they were allowed to do something like this and it feels like one big slap in the face. It's as if they don't trust me to do my job and I get the feeling she's trying to push me out. I really just feel like quitting right now...

Can someone explain to me about this?

kavyathapar19 likes this.
  2. ershep

ershep New commenter

I’m so sorry to hear you have been having such a stressful time in your NQT year. Are you signed up to a union? I would strongly recommend getting in touch with them and discussing your situation. It would also be worth finding your contract and job spec before this so it’s clear what you were employed to do. Your union should be able to offer you some advice and strategies to be able to confront this with more confidence. If you’re not with a union, most are free/give offers for your first year.
    Is there anyone else in school / education that you can talk with about this? Is your head teacher your NQT mentor? As you’re unhappy with the situation, you will need to approach your head teacher about it but it would be helpful to have some advice and support first. Good luck and I hope things improve for you.

3. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

This doesn't sit right with me. As an nqt you have to be able to demonstrate and meet the standards, obviously planning is a massive part. If you're working 1:1 with a child then you can't possibly meet the standards as you won't have the opportunity to.

Talk to your union. Also check with HR about the change in employment duties, also talk to your mentor.

Your Head sounds awful. My HT was horrible towards me during my NQT year so I can empathise with your situation.

DexterDexter likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

This sounds as if the head has concerns about what is happening in the classroom. These may or may not be justified, none of us can tell. But be aware that everything hurts more in the tail end of the Christmas term. By January things generally look better, so no point quitting now, as you can't leave until Easter and you have until the end of Feb to hand your notice in.

To make the best of the situation:
    Use the supply teacher's planning...it will save you a heap of time and will enable you to see what more experienced teachers might do. You can, of course, adapt them a little to suit your style.
    Use your NQT time (if you have it, being overseas qualified) to observe other teachers in the school...you can get ideas for what kind of things the head is looking for and what works well.
    Use the 1:1 support time to also observe the supply teacher...you can then ask them about their ideas and strategies.

Best of luck, sometimes terrible situations work out well.

nmason likes this.
  5. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

They can't do that. Even if they're worried about your practice they have to prove they're supporting you to get better.

Contact your union to support you through this because if they fail you, you can't come back from that.

6. christubbs

christubbs New commenter

KEEP A DIARY!

7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Seems strange to me, unless of course they think that you need more support in your NQT year or they’re trying to diplomatically manage you out. I would seek Union advice ASAP!

Pomza likes this.
  8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yeah they can.

9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Exactly. They will say this IS the support...

DexterDexter likes this.
  10. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Are you an NQT in the UK?

11. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Yes, schools can change your timetable at any time, without any warning and without giving you a reason, it happens.

I agree, email your union, though, if just because you are so stressed.

12. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Get in touch with your union. If you will not be planning and only teaching some of the time, I suspect they have little intention signing off your second term of NQT.
    I suspect you should think about looking for a new post for Easter - it doesn't seem like this is going to be a good place to stay in the longer term.

13. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

Are you supposed to be doing induction at this school? If so, have you had your end of term 1 review? Is the head your NQT mentor? Are you still getting your entitlements as an NQT (and will this be continuing in the new year?) It's been a while since I did my NQT year and I'm not involved in mentoring so don't know how much things have changed, but like some of the other posters, my concern would be how you can meet the assorted standards if these plans are continuing for any length of time...

14. kavyathapar19

kavyathapar19 New commenter

I too, so sorry