1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are school fees free for teacher's children at European International Schools?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by dmtbaird, Oct 9, 2015.

1. dmtbaird

dmtbaird New commenter

Hi, i am a Subject Leader of French in a London school, all of my family live in Europe as I am half French, i really want to return to living on the continent with my wife and children, to offer them a better life but i have heard that European International Schools do not give free places to children of teachers but just a discount. Is this true and is it always the case?

Thank you

2. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

There is not one rule for the whole of Europe.
    In Austria and Germany for example, fees are a taxable benefit. This means that you don't pay the fees themselves, but you are liable for the tax on the value. Depending on the size of the fees and the tax rate, this could be sizable.
    You say "children", but not how many. Some schools offer a free place for the first child but a sliding scale for any others.
    You will have to look at each school individually for this.

3. dmtbaird

dmtbaird New commenter

Thank you Molly, one child is 5 in April, the other is just a baby.

4. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

Free and untaxed in Spain, but you may have to pay for "extras" like bus service and lunch...

dmtbaird likes this.
  5. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

As above there's no rule - it's up to the school. In mine we get a 90% discount for Primary and a 70% for secondary.

6. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

It depends on the situation in each individual country - often down to the issue of taxable benefit (as molly says). Each school is different - you need to ask at interview or before. The 'European' schools (run by Brussels) are different again.

7. bornsleepy

bornsleepy New commenter

The better schools in Switzerland don't charge (mine charges 25%:().

8. littlestar

littlestar New commenter

Hi
    Are you sure all international schools are free in Spain, I am having a second interview for one next week and have three children.. the idea that they might be free is very exciting.

whats the pay like?

Sarah x