1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are SATs more stressful for the children, the teachers or the parents?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jodieworld, May 11, 2011.

1. As it is KS2 SATs week I am wondering who gets the most stressed at your school...
    Is it the children who are competing to get the highest mark in class or prove they DID finally learn their times tables?..
    Is it the teachers who are desperate to prove to the borough that they have earned their worth and can stay in steady employment for years to come? (Ofsted etc boxes ticked)
    Is it the parents who are trying to ensure that their child has the best start in life/comes top of the class?...
    It bemuses me every year what we all go through at this time of year with children who should be happily doing anything else - but who do you think bears the brunt of it all?

2. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Well, I'm not stressed, my child isn't stressed - so I guess that leaves...

3. Or indeed is it the headteacher who has to answer to everyone in the list above?!

4. That's how I felt and always gave credit to the teachers for not making the week too stressful!

5. In what way do Sats affect child development?

6. I don't believe they do but I think some parents get caught up in the idea that they are very important - buying in expensive tutors and the like

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

only because in thier mind it has replaced the old 11plus exams and is seenas a sysmbol of their childrens cleverness...which it is not!
    I never get stressed a long as im orgnaised,but i stil thinnk they are totall waste of a childs life and time!

8. +1