1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

are recruitment fairs productive

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by eviotti, Mar 14, 2012.

1. There is one coming up in London and I was just wondering if they were worth the time, effort, cost etc...

2. There is one coming up in London and I was just wondering if they were worth the time, effort, cost etc...

3. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

I'd like to ask the same question, but I am based in the USA at the moment. Anyone know if the Search fair in Bethesda MD. in june is worthwhile.... I know it seems very late, but might schools still have vacancies at that stage?

4. lack of response to this thread suggests not many people are in the unfortunate position of looking for jobs or dont have much information to give

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Fairs have always been productive for me, whether I was looking to hire or looking to get hired.
    Late fairs get a bad rap, but I think unfairly so. Yes, some dodgy schools are there because their dodginess prevented them from filling their roster in the earlier fairs. But there are also good schools there, looking to fill slots for teachers who turned in late resignations, had sudden medical emergencies, or for newly-hired teachers who changed their minds before they even started packing.

6. Been on both sides and I think that they favour the recruiter rather than the recruitee. For the recruitee they can seem like awful scrums or meatmarkets and for the recruiters a bit of a **** up with the chance of getting a few warm ones for the classroom.
    The thing to watch out for is the puffed up b&stards who think that they are doing you a favour by deigning to give you an interview slot.
    My favourite moment was early on in a fair where I knew a couple of SMT pals (yup -gottem - gettin rarer) from a particular school would be attending so I put in a request for an interview. I got the expected effoff.[​IMG]
    Then went to the table, where some jumped up terd of a SLT from said school was sitting, to wait for the oldgit appreciation soc to turn up. Just in the way of conversation I asked him about the position for HoD Oldgit Studies.
    "Oh, its you," he said. "You're not on the list but if I have time at the end of the fair, I might be able to squeeze you in."
    When SLT No.1 mate of Oldgit turned up he nearly sh$t himself. When SLT No.2 mate of oldgit followed, I swear he did.
    A prime moment and one to savour.

7. I have no idea what you mean..

8. It's nice to hear a positive side, gulfgolf
    To answer the request about Bethesda, I went to that fair once. There originally weren't any openings for what I teach and it was smaller than advertised. I was visiting and staying with a friend nearby, which reduced the risk and expense for me. Something did come up, though I don't know that I would put it in the "good" category. On the plus side, it did not feel like the meat-market that people describe the CoIS fair as being (I would agree that it is). It had a more relaxed feel and was a nice way to talk to other teachers and get a little wiser. I DEFINITELY liked speaking to the heads that were not busy: I have a list of "would absolutely work for this person almost anywhere" and a "not if it were the last job in the world, would I work for this person" as a result. (Some in between, too.) It was a good environment for learning how I might distinguish heads with integrity and heads I didn't even want to be near, because if they are just standing there, at an empty table, there's no excuse to be too precious to talk. That part, I think, was an invaluable education.

9. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Thanks Penelopefish, (can I call you Penny?). Glad to hear your views. I think I will attend unless I get something before then. I have a brother in DC that I visit often anyway, so it would not be a huge expense.

10. I would recommend you go, especially since you have someone to stay with and visit there.
    good luck!
    Penny[​IMG]