1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are PPA teachers entitled to PPA time?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ttg2706, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Good Afternoon,
    I am an NQT who has just started a term's contract at a school (via an agency) as the full time PPA teacher. I teach from Nursery to Year 4, I plan for my Year 2, 3 and 4 classes, and also mark/create displays etc.
    Am I entitled to PPA time?

2. Good Afternoon,
    I am an NQT who has just started a term's contract at a school (via an agency) as the full time PPA teacher. I teach from Nursery to Year 4, I plan for my Year 2, 3 and 4 classes, and also mark/create displays etc.
    Am I entitled to PPA time?

3. If you've got a term's contract, can you use this as your first term on your induction year.
    The answer to the first question should be 'yes' but check it on Tafkam's website. After all, if you're planning, you need time for it.

4. Our PPA teachers get 10% of the time that they are teaching to plan. It may be that your school is flexible enough to allow the PPA teachers to store up their owed 10%s and take days off at the start/end of terms when they are not needed.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ours do.

Not overly sure why or what it is they actually do in PPA, as they appear to do very little planning and absolutely no assessing. Preparation seems to be turning up on time for one of them and less than 5 mins late for the other.

But I'm feeling grumpy and a little pished.

I believe all contracted teachers are entitled to 10% of their contracted hours, whatever job it is they actually do. So yes you are definitely entitled to PPA and I'm sure use it far more than our PPA teachers!

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Is completely right.
    is bang out of order.
    I would suggest not doing any preparation for them, beyond furnishing them with lesson objectives - unless you have a particular interest in the course of a sequence of lessons- and asking them to mark the work done under their supervision, where appropriate.
    I cover PPA and do all of the PP and A for the lessons I teach (including writing a section to go on reports)

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm sure most PPA teachers do. I'm also sure that most then go on to have productive and worthwhile lessons.

Ours teach stand alone subjects so we have no input at all, apart from sorting out all the mess the next day associated with poorly planned and taught cover lessons. Writing reports? Well that will be something to see later in the year...