1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are placement shortages nation wide?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by rmaddock, Apr 15, 2011.

1. I'm not going to say where I'm training [​IMG] but we seem to be having terrible trouble getting placements.
    I'm on a primary PGCE course and large numbers of my colleagues have lost weeks of placement time so far to, simply, not having a placement. The college don't seem to be able to find enough and claim that the situation is a nationwide thing.
    As one of our cohort's representatives on the course committee, I wondered if people out there could confirm or deny this rumour by completing the following questionnaire....it's very, very short.
    Cheers!
    Robert.

2. I'm not going to say where I'm training [​IMG] but we seem to be having terrible trouble getting placements.
    I'm on a primary PGCE course and large numbers of my colleagues have lost weeks of placement time so far to, simply, not having a placement. The college don't seem to be able to find enough and claim that the situation is a nationwide thing.
    As one of our cohort's representatives on the course committee, I wondered if people out there could confirm or deny this rumour by completing the following questionnaire....it's very, very short.
    Cheers!
    Robert.

3. Without completing your questionnaire as I'm not on PGCE, I just state that it's indeed a nationwide problem, with regional and local variations. It's particularly acute in areas with a large number of training providers chasing the same schools. A lot of schools have in recent years restricted the number of placement places they offer, or have withdrawn from the programme altogether. There are various reasons for it - lack of suitable staff, shortage of trained mentors (and teachers willing to be trained), in special measure, and bad experience with certain ITT provider or students. And as schools aren't obliged to offer placements, they can and often do change their mind, withdraw placements already agreed to or place further conditions on the kind of students they will take, such as no final placement, no retakes or those who have failed previous placement(s) - i.e. those who need a lot of support which they are not in a position to offer.