1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are pets allowed?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ele1, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Does anyone know if international/boarding schools allow staff to take their pets?
    I have a dog (small), no husband, no children. What are the chances of him boarding with me? I know every school/country will be different but does anyone have experience of taking or asking to take a pet with them?
    Thanks

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

In general most international schools will allow you to bring a pet, subject to the host country's laws of course, which could mean quarantine, or that certain breeds are banned, etc. Or it could mean just get a vet certificate and you're good to go. However, most schools will not take any responsibility for the necessary arrangements - you have to do it. Best advice is to do your homework and contact a professional pet mover for assistance. It can be done, many have done it, and many more will follow.
    Boarding schools are a different kettle of fish. I don't really have the experience here, but my guess is most would say no if you're living in the student dorms. You'll have to check with schools individually.

3. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the info.
    Any other responses - perhaps from those of you in boarding schools - would be great.

4. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Check it out. If you're going outside the EU, many countries are NOT included in the pet passport scheme and so on returning to the UK, your beloved pet will be required to spend 6 months in quarantine (either that or you stop off in Europe somewhere along the way for 6 months!) and the cost of that will be around £3000. Unless you are intending to live away from the UK for a long period of time, then consider whether your pet could board with a relative or friend during your absence.
    Also, UK laws require you to ship animals out of the UK as cargo and if you are returning to the UK there are only certain **legal** ports of entry for animals by air and sea.
    I brought my beloved 2 kitties with me from the UK and this cost £300 in jabs - fair enough, £1250 air fare in cargo including 7 nights in kennels, all the paperwork, vet checks etc before flying, then a further £150 to actually get them out the other end - much 'tea money' exchanging hands.
    A lot of American and Europeans on the internet will tell you 'why don't you take them in the compartment with you' or 'they come out with the baggage'. Well bully for them, but from the UK you cannot do this. And of course, someone always knows someone who did it another way, but then if you got caught, you risk having your pet exterminated.
    Some countries will NOT allow pets to be brought in. So if this is very important to you, I would check that out first if you see a post you are interested in.

5. Thanks for this really helpful reply.
    I'm thinking Europe so anyone else who wants to chip in with opinions/experiences, lease do.

6. If you get your pooch a Pet Passport (fairly straight forward, about 200 quid in rabies vaccines etc, a good vet will talk you through) the the EU will be fine - as long as you follow the re-entry instructions carefully there is no quarantine between those countries in the Pet Passport scheme. That is just tick/worm 48 hrs before entry & certified by a local vet.
    So if you are heading for the EU then you will be fine.

Regarding other countries, I think the issue is not so much about the school (although in my sch, the sch uses private landlords who MAY possibly refuse to have a dog - this would be a real problem for you) but re-entering the UK, as a previous poster said. Think REALLY hard about this - an elderly pet may not last 6 months isolation. Not to mention the cost. There are other ways around is shipping to France/Germany etc I believe, although you will still not get them into the UK any quicker as they need 6 months verified residency in rabies-free countries as well.

It cost us nearly 2000 quid to send our mini schnauzer to NZ earlier this year (no quarantine bewteen UK/NZ) that was just his jabs, poo/blood testing at a qualified lab (NZ only) and the airfare which was about 1300 quid....

If you are not too bothered and really want to keep your pet then head for the EU.

7. Thanks for your points. He is only two and a half and fighting fit so hopefully the travel/quarantine issues would be manageable for him.
    As far as the costs go I would be prepared to pay whatever it takes to have him with me.
    I suppose my main concern is whether individual schools would be likely to give the go ahead about him staying in their accommodation with me.

8. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

What about a hamster? I will miss my crazy syrian if/when I get a job abroad. She will be about a year old and they normally live for up to three years...I was going to give her to my boyfriend when I go (we are remaining friends, but the relationship side is going nowhere so I gotta do etc). His housemate is not liking the idea of a hamster...can I dare dream of taking her with me? [​IMG]

9. Our school did not tell us until about 3 weeks before arrival which accommodation we would be in, so would not have been able to give a guarantee that the landlord involved would OK pets. In the country I am living in now dogs are mostly considered pests. They are eaten here- you can see that at the markets should you choose (I stay away!) So as you can imagine a landlord won't be killing himself to have a tenant with a dog.
    We did foster a stray for a few weeks before Christmas, and our landlord kindly agreed - on the condition that ANY damage be paid by us at the end of the tenancy, which is reasonable. If he had said 'no', then there would have been problems as there are no animal shelters here [​IMG]
    Some schools have their own staff accommodation, some use private landlords (like us) but the school pays the bond. In this case, it is possible also for the school to refuse to have a pet as it is their money on the line. It really depends on the school - sorry not to be able to be more specific. If it is a deal breaker, then make sure the school knows up front.