1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are people really interested in other folk?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Oct 16, 2015.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

While waiting for my wife to have her MRI scan i was reduced to looking a the motley collection of papers and magazines which accumulate in such waiting areas. I was struck how much space is give to people spotting..do folks really care which young man or dolly bird has been seen in which nightclub, restaurant or drink hole and who they are holding/groping/looking piddled with?
    Does it matter that grotesque fashions are peddled out as the new in thing which hairstyles and clothes are more reminiscent of a gothic horror film than every day wearable and lovely to look at styles...or are women really taken in by such declarations that this is what you should wear...when it looks like their is not even enough to cover your modesty, or the collected remains of 2nd charity shop?
    I really must admit i have never been a fashion interested person, but surely the cult of personality and of clothes is abused by such designers?

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I suppose some people must be interested in these things or else the magazines wouldn't sell.

Likewise, some women must be 'taken in' by the fashion pages.

Clearly not everyone buys these magazines and are therefore not interested in their content.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I'm interested in other people, just not the people in those magazines. Here for example - I'm usually up for reading about what people are getting up to, and it's sometimes very interesting indeed. Or amusing. Or sad. Whatever.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

in understand being nosey.i am and i do look and observe.....but really am i interested in the cavorting of some folk.
    Think I am showing my age.

5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

These mags are for the same sort of people who watch 'Big Brother' - they're either identifying with the characters and what they are wearing/doing, or they are vilifying them for the same things. Sad, really.

kibosh and RedQuilt like this.
  6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I find people watching fascinating. Magazines and reality TV tap into that interest. I only like certain aspects of it. I can't bear TOWIE or Made in Chelsea but First Dates is a real favourite.

coffeekid likes this.
  7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I never look at that sort of magazine but I am interested in people.
    I wouldn't have been sucked into this place so wholly otherwise.

I think many designers are entirely and honestly invested in their work and have no desire to con anyone.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I'm a proper people watcher and have to be really careful, in case it looks as though I'm staring- but then I probably am! I make up scenarios for the interesting looking ones. I like reality TV too, but only certain programmes. Not TOWIE - shudder, but some Sky channel programmes make me laugh.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  9. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

not just women, oldie

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

He could file things in those trousers. I keep my worksheets in something that looks similar!

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'm not interested in slebs but I am interested in my fellow TESsers.

Dragonlady30, ilovesooty and kibosh like this.
  12. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

@ bombaysapphire.....:)

bombaysapphire likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

His legs are actually 73 metres long - he works as a ladderless window cleaner in central London.

I quite like the thinking that's gone into that design - imagine turning up for an interview in it, especially for a job you didn't really want.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Other people really are hellish.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Can you imagine how cool it would be though, if you turned up for a busking interview for an accordianless accordianist

marlin and magic surf bus like this.
  16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I'm sure the trousers? Are made of paper and he won't be allowed out in wet weather!

17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I love people watching but hate those magazines. They just seem to be full of glossy advertisements for products which do not interest me and people who just appear to be interested in how the rest of the world perceives them. Also, they are SO expensive!!

OH is as interested in people watching as I am.Years ago on holiday, we decided that another holiday maker was, in fact. a high up police detective or was working under cover. We got chatting one evening and he told us he was an optician.

Well, he would say that wouldn't he? ;)

18. bumchuckle

bumchuckle Occasional commenter

So I googled "dolly bird" (not being English) and apparently it means 'attractive and unintelligent'.
    So now I'm wondering why the only attribute that is worth commenting on for the male in the magazine is his age whereas the female's looks are judged and her lack of intelligence is automatically assumed. Doesn't seem fair does it?

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Does he have his driving trousers on underneath?

20. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

Otherwise known as a ***** or an airhead.