1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are pay scales within the same LEA, equivalent?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Rajindamum, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Rajindamum

Rajindamum New commenter

I'm sure my wages have dropped and only realised today. When I started at my school 4 years ago, on M5, my wages matched the union guidelines. I'm on M6 now and my wages went up but checking today I realise that I am payed significantly less than M6 as defined by Union scales. How do I find out what I should be paid? Do I have to ask my headteacher...or the bursar...or call HR?

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Ask HR, or look at the pay policy on the intranet. Union scales are not binding on schools even though we'd all like them to be.

Equally schools don't have to match across the LA

border_walker likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The school is obliged to pay you what its own pay policy and your own contract of employment says. That's it. Everything else you mention is irrelevant.

What unions thinks the payscales should be is irrelevant, they have no say in it.

What other schools in your LA pay is irrelevant, the LA has no say in it.

That's the harsh truth about teachers' pay now. Get advice from your union if you think your school isn't paying you to contract. Maybe start by asking HR to clarify it?

JohnJCazorla and border_walker like this.
  4. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Try to keep up with events. Many schools are just running a business , They do not care about the children or you being underpaid. Speak to your Union, they may have had other cases like yours at your school Ring the Regional Centre tomorrow.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Some time back, a number of schools divided their M6 into M6a and M6b, and you could be on the lower of these if your school did. As STPCD only mentions pay ranges, schools were at liberty to have as many points as they like in their scales. You should be able to access your school's pay policy. If not, ask your Head. If you think it is being broken, then your union could probably help, but they can't do anything if it is being followed.

By the way, your school should have a procedure for moving onto the Upper Pay Range. In practice, it might be the best advice to try to get onto that as soon as possible.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

A little bit more background to this for anyone reading: in 2015, the main pay range was increased by 1% at the bottom, but 2% at the top. It was heavily pushed that the top should not be automatically awarded, hence the M6a and M6b. Many LAs, like mine, just didn’t use the new higher top end at all. The unions, on the other hand, believe everyone on M6 should get the higher rate.

Piranha likes this.