1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are our Care Homes in trouble?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Apr 14, 2020.

1. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Here is the link. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52278825

There were 6,000 more deaths than expected of which 3,475 were attributed to Covid-19. The unknown factor is what caused the other 2,500 extra deaths. Some could be Covid-19 but not recorded as such since they weren't tested. Others could be factors such as treatments for other conditions being delayed or people not going to hospital because of the virus.

Sally006 and install like this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

Thank you @gainly

3. install

install Star commenter

There are clearly good Care Homes out there, but I do wonder if this is common in the worst Care Homes:

‘ Donna Millan told MailOnline that her 73-year-old mother died on April 9 with COVID-19 symptoms.

Ms Millan said: '[Mum] had been mostly unresponsive for almost a week. She was not given IV for fluids and was kept in the care home as they considered moving her too distressing.

'Some of the residents were swabbed after showing symptoms on the Monday and Tuesday last week, and four residents and a carer were confirmed positive.

'My mum wasn't swabbed despite requests, we were told Public Health wouldn't swab there again as there were already confirmed cases. There were, and are, lots of suspected cases there and all residents are being kept in isolation.

'My mum had dementia but was otherwise healthy. We heard rumours about testing and were only told of the swabbing then confirmed cases when I asked.

'The nursing staff did as they could and said Public Health were discouraging elderly people in care from from being taken to hospital.

'We believe that my mum would not have contracted COVID-19 and would still be alive had things been managed better.'

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

That reads like a PH thing, not the care home.
    There are supposed to be over 2000 ICU beds over capacity (before the London Nightingale opened there would have been 2000 ish under, I guess) and another huge hospital opening in Manchester this week.

install likes this.
  5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

According to the Health Service Journal, existing hospitals currently have 1,555 available ICU beds. As a result, there were only 19 patients in the London Nightingale over the Easter weekend.

https://www.hsj.co.uk/service-desig...ly-empty-as-icus-handle-surge/7027398.article

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Someone ought to tell the British Red Cross then, because when I did my three-year first aid refresher course last year, they were very clear that getting air into the lungs was required.

install likes this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Thanks @emilystrange

It seems like Care Home concerns to me.
    Here’s the headline and key paragraph:

‘ Devastating roll call of the elderly 'lambs to the slaughter': Patients are 'left to die' in care homes ravaged by coronavirus by health officials who refuse to test every ageing resident and GPs who don't want to come into the hotbeds of disease

‘Donna Millan's 73-year-old mother, who lived in a nursing home, died on April 9 with COVID-19 symptoms. ‘

Sally006 likes this.
  8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

That's old fashioned now. They should have told you that breaths are optional. They still teach you how to do it, but they usually stress that isy chest compressions that are the most important thing.

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I've never rated courses that aren't St Johns ambulance. I've been on loads of first aid courses and the St Johns ones have always been the best. I think it's because the people doing them are actual first aiders with loads of real world experience. And they always have great stories to tell!

install likes this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

Thanks @Doitforfree

The ambulance workers are another group of people that deserves our thanks and a pay rise as well as all those low paid care workers imho.

11. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Some people seem to think ageism is the only acceptable 'ism'.

install, ilovesooty and JL48 like this.
  12. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

My dear Dad died 4 years ago today, aged 95, having spent his last 4 months in an excellent care home. I'm so grateful that we didn't have the current situation then. It would have broken my heart not to be able to see him and I really feel for those of you with loved ones you can't visit now. It was awful to see care workers on the News with very limited PPE, caring for very vulnerable folk with real love and then going back to their own families.

install, ilovesooty, gainly and 4 others like this.
  13. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

@susanrk, it is hard. But we can't change what's happening and I know they're right to not allow any visitors. The staff are doing a wonderful job - sent me a photo yesterday of my Dad, wearing a panama hat, out for a bit of fresh air with his key worker in the beautiful garden. He was admiring the just-coming-out lilac tree. Made me cry, but I'm so glad he's well and being looked after so well by people who really do care.

install, ilovesooty, susanrk and 3 others like this.
  14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Lovely @sunshineisneeded. Even if it did make you cry.

15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

My late Mother in Law was in a BUPA private care home, the fees were £36,000 a year so she had to sell her house to finance her stay and after six years there was very little left. It was not a nursing home so it was staffed by care assistants on minimum wage. Lovely caring people whose devotion could never be faulted.

The government is now expected to pay for PPE and testing for the staff, shouldn't the big companies, like BUPA, be paying for the correct equipment to ensure that their staff are adequately protected?

16. install

install Star commenter

I agree with you @Jesmond12. The Care Home businesses should be paying for PPE not the Government. I am also surprised that Care Home businesses did not have contingency plans in place for such an event as a killer virus.

border_walker and Jesmond12 like this.
  17. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Are you sure BUPA don't buy their own PPE?

18. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

I don’t know about BUPA but the care home owner interviewed on local tv (small care home) said that their normal supplies have dried up, presumed diverted to the NHS. I think they therefore ask the government to help them obtain PPE, which seems entirely reasonable.

I was interested in this article about the situation in Spain and the situation there:
    https://english.elpais.com/society/...e-seen-at-least-11600-coronavirus-deaths.html

LondonCanary likes this.