1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are our Care Homes in trouble?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Apr 14, 2020.

1. install

install Star commenter

I think @Sally006 you must not get bogged down with numbers. Sometimes people wrongly get obsessed with numbers to prove a point or to look at the potential peak before it starts to fall.

Your mum matters more - and she is a human being, not a number. Are you able to phone her everyday?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Sally006 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Here are the new ONS figures from the BBC website. 16,000 was the total number of deaths that week.

More than one in five deaths being seen in England and Wales is linked to coronavirus, figures show.

The Office for National Statistics data showed the virus was mentioned on 3,475 death certificates in the week ending 3 April.

It helped push the total number of deaths seen in that week to more than 16,000 - a record high and 6,000 more than expected at this time of year.

Normally the number of deaths falls as winter ends.

This is because there is less flu circulating.

install likes this.
  3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I'm lucky enough to not have to rely on English speaking sources.

When reading the reports in the papers from those countries more affected than we are, they tend to break it down into the 3 categories of Hospital, Care home and at home.

install likes this.
  4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

But only one set of figures appears in the media and in, for example, comparison charts with the UK. Guess which set it is? It is hospital deaths, certainly in the case of Italy.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

No, either you or Derbyshire are confused. The ONS statistic of 16,000 is the total number of people who died that week - from traffic accidents, heart attacks, cancer, covid-19 and anything else. Only 3,475 of the 16,000 had Covid-19 mentioned on their death certificates, and even among those coronavirus may have been present but not the main cause of death.

It's certainly bad enough, but nowhere near as bad as you fear.

border_walker, T34 and Sally006 like this.
  6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Related to Covid-19, but perhaps of equal concern is that Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) is a leading cause of death in the United Kingdom, accounting for an estimated 100,000 deaths each year, but care home workers and people like myself are being told now to administer CPU just by chest pumping if no defibrilator is available, i.e to avoid mouth to mouth resussitation.

Even without contracting coronavirus, the risk to the elderly has been increased by coronavirus.

Lara mfl 05 and install like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Thank you @gainly

And the true figures may be even higher than the ONS are reporting imho.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

Thank you @Duke of York
    Good points.

I did read about the ‘don’t resuscitate’ to save the life approach happening in some Care Homes. This caused an issue I think because in some they had not informed next of kin of their change in policy.

It must be heart breaking in some places.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Thanks Install. Sadly, my mum is no longer with us. Died a couple of years ago but my point was that care homes were really struggling then let alone now.

install and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sorry, if anyone is struggling with the colours on the chart this is ranking order.
    upload_2020-4-14_12-45-19.png

install likes this.
  11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

You are so right, @CarrieV, the funding for care homes is scandalous, particularly for nursing homes where the level of care needed is so much higher. A major review is needed, but I can't see that happening any time soon - but perhaps the present situation will at least raise awareness. I freely admit that, until my dad's health declined to a point where our family needed to be 'part of the care system', I knew little or nothing about it and rarely gave it any thought.
    Glad your mum is in a good place - we feel dad's home are doing a great job. But I know exactly what you mean - every time the phone rings, I wonder if this will be the news ...

ajrowing, JL48, install and 1 other person like this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

So sorry @Sally006

I agree Care Homes are struggling and have done so for some time. This pandemic has made us more aware of that maybe.

JL48 likes this.
  13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Thanks for that Lan. I was finidng the different blues in particular too close in colour to say for definite which was which. Much clearer with actual numbers to refer to.

(((((sunshuineisneeded))))) I remember that feeling , even now and the stress before even picking up the phone to answer with my heart racing.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  14. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Thanks Florian. Is there a link for those statistics, even so 3,000 plus in one week is bad enough as you say. I will take Install’s advice on not getting too hung up on statistics- too alarming and confusing at times. Best to see in print than hear on TV and radio I suspect. Point remains that the situation in care homes is just dire.

15. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

16. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Hancock asked all MPs to write to him last month, with suggestions on "solving" the care system for the elderly. He asked MPs to do it by May, in two weeks time. A solution is long overdue.

If you haven't already, maybe now is the perfect time to email your own MP to check they have submitted something at least, even if they are not a Tory, reminding them of the May deadline. It would be interesting to hear what each MP proposed, so if you hear back, post it here!!

Personally, I'd like it legal to have euthanasia as an option. My mum has a terrible degenerative disease, is mad, angry, totally dependent on others, incontinent, depressed and wants to die. But everyone keeps feeding her and giving her pills to prolong her suffering. She wants to go, but can't. She will only ever get worse and suffer more, losing her dignity a bit more every month. It's horrible.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

18. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

If you look at various international comparison charts, they use the governments' official figures. In most heavily affected EU countries, that includes confirmed deaths outside of the hospital.

Another separate but related factor of course are the deaths caused indirectly by this crisis. The Economist recently reported that people with heart attacks and strokes who would normally survive are now much more likely to die as they don't have access to the care they need. Should we be trying to count these people? And how reliable would those figures even be ?

19. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

The US is up to 71 now, apparently.

From what we are being told, the countries above us on your list started this crisis earlier so are further along it than we are. Le's hope we don't get up that high.

20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

That's been the advice for first aid training for at least three years, because that's when I last did a course. Breaths are far less important than keeping the blood flowing in saving the life so unless you have a mouth guard then you're not advised to do them anyway, even in normal times. On my last course it was 'do breaths if you want to, but they don't add much and they put you at risk'.