1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are other schools still taking trips abroad in the light of terrorism threat?

Discussion in 'School trips' started by MrsAThomas, Nov 16, 2015.

1. MrsAThomas

MrsAThomas New commenter

i am due to take a school trip to German Christmas market in Aachen as I have done for the last 10 years. The Leadership Group are not sure they should approve this year's trip because of the bombings in Paris. So far no parents have said they wish to withdraw their child. What are other schools doing about upcoming trips?

2. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Aachen is no more dangerous this Christmas than it was last.

Keeping the group at home might expose them to an outrage here that they would have avoided by being elsewhere.

I am not a prophet and neither is your school's leadership group.

3. STC_adrian

STC_adrian New commenter

4. Math-Worksheets-Galore

Math-Worksheets-Galore Occasional commenter

We've certainly had a drop in the uptake for ISAC cruises due to threats abroad. We used to cruise in the Eastern Mediterranean taking in Egypt, Turkey, Israel, Greece, etc. Pity as these were well organised and 680+ happy students and party leaders on board made for an unforgettable experience - 50+ years of cruises snuffed out ............... or maybe not. ISAC is still up and running and exploring other avenues.

5. Geoff Thomas

I've got a couple of school groups visiting the Rhineland this summer whose leaders have asked to cancel the planned day in Cologne and substitute somewhere else.

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Our neighbours' kids are going.

7. viptravelwroclaw

viptravelwroclaw New commenter

We've actually had an upturn in interest here, especially among Catholic schools. What we're finding is that schools are looking for 'safer' opportunities - for instance, I have an e-mail here where I've been asked to avoid crowded places.

What's interesting is that every single proposal to include a side trip to Berlin has been rejected by schools - not on cost grounds, but on safety grounds.

8. Geoff Thomas

While I love Wrocław, a city which I have been visiting regularly for over 30 years, I wonder what visits from British schools might accomplish?

I organise many groups each year to Berlin, mainly but not all studying History.

It is one of the safer cities I know and I am always happy to be there myself.

9. viptravelwroclaw

viptravelwroclaw New commenter

Taking a quick look at previous trips, most of them have had a connection to history and geography - it's not Kraków, but one piece of feedback that we keep getting is that Wrocław is much more interesting for older schoolchildren than Kraków. I'm not sure why it is, but it could be related to the cultural life here being incredibly strong at the minute.

What I've found is that British schools are considering Poland for the simple reason that it's cost effective and isn't much further than Berlin. Usually people are pleasantly surprised by just how much is on offer here - of course, it can't compete with Berlin in terms of history and geography, but it's not a bad challenger.

10. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

My daughter's school is still intending to run their annual trip to Israel and the Palestinian authority