1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are my lessons boring?

Discussion in 'English' started by charlotteu, Jan 9, 2011.

1. I'm becoming slightly concerned (only in my second term!!!) that my lessons are, well, slightly dull.
    Pupils are learning, and mostly remain interested but there doesn't seem to be that spark.
    Any suggestions of somewhere to look for inspiration or any books that might be interesting? Coming up with new ideas is very difficult!
    I think a part of the problem is that I'm struggling a little to keep on track with all my classes. Would focusing on one at a time, say for a month, help? Does anyone else work this way?

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I think you need to give us more of an idea of the kinds of things that you are doing...

3. I agree with everybody else. Being a teacher is like being a new parent - you always have that constant sense you aren't quite doing it right. Why can't every lesson be like the high point of a Glee episode?
    But then - why do people who tell you lessons should be like this so often fit the profile of people who have never spent pro-longed periods of time in the classroom, doing the same thing, in the same place?
    ...What about dressing up as a semi-colon?

4. I can recommend a book called 'How to be a Brilliant English Teacher' by Trevor Wright.