1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are most teachers fed up?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Flybee, Feb 5, 2012.

1. I'm having a rough time at the moment. Having had a few bad (actually terrible) observations in my new school, I'm thinking about seeing my temporary position out and then leaving teaching.
    I can't help but wonder though, is anyone actually happy?
    On the whole I feel that I'm much more positive about the profession and the general school experience than 90% of teachers I meet.
    What with over-whelming APP, planning requirements etc, almost everyone seems totally stressed and over-worked. Part of me thinks that I ought to stay as I, at least, seem to enjoy being with the kids.
    What do other people think?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It will vary enormously from school to school. How your head behaves and their expectations with regards to workload is the number one contributing factor to teachers' happiness, or lack of.
    I'm quite happy. My head makes good decisions that make clear sense. She has the children at heart but is still supportive of teachers. She also has a realistic view of workload. And the kids and teaching part of it are ace, obviously.
    If I worked in some of the schools mentioned on the forum, however, I fear I would have left the profession by now.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I love my job [​IMG]

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I think a lot of the negative feeling at the moment is down to the nonsense being spouted by that odious little ***, Gove.
    None of this has yet been passed, don't forget.

5. Agreed! He may not have passed anything, but even his attitude towards teaching as a profession is damaging our reputation. He seems to have nothing but contempt for anyone within teaching and seems to think all schools are failing their pupils. He's doing a great job of turning everyone against us!

6. I also consider myself lucky to be working in a school with a pragmatic, hands-on headteacher who doesn't believe in over-the-top planning and assessment. Staff bringing out the best in children and helping them become better learners is everyone's shared aim. We do find the workload and behaviour a challenge, but generally not more than it needs to be. I enjoy my job and so don't feel too concerned about the many hours worked outside of school preparing lesson plans, resources and assessing. I often work 2 or 3 hours in the evenings and about 5 hours on a Sunday. It's harder in winter when everyone's feeling a bit run down but knowing half term is coming up keeps me going!

7. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

In my school we feel that there are big changes coming and feel very unsettled as a result. The HT is flapping about unannounced Ofsted visits and there are meetings taking place every week with subject leaders who then begin flapping as well. I think that next year is going to be a particularly bad one. [​IMG] The HT flutters from one thing to the next and never sticks anything out - we did Big Writing for half a year, then Power of Reading for about 2 terms, then went on to something else, oh oops maths has taken a nosedive lets focus on that, no wait - Ofsted are pushing reading more than writing lets make changes there... I hate it. Passionately.

8. Msz

I agree the uncertainty since the present government took office is bad for education
    grief! doesn't he realise he needs to get them all working effectively

9. 'Flybee' - I know exactly how you're feeling. I have also had a particularly bad time lately. Drowning in APP... topped off with a couple of unexpected bad observations...add a dash of hearing something negative about yourself each day...plus a sprinkle of angry parent and you have yourself a recipe for disaster within a week!! I have been doubting my own ability massively but I'm not sure it's me getting worse or if standards are getting higher. I've went from having a string of 'good' lessons to 2 'unsatisfactory' within a week :( I don't really know what to think...maybe I'm just my own worst enemy?!!

10. Would echo the comment about teacher morale varying from school to school. I'm happy but I'm not in a school where plans are due in on a weekly basis to be scrutinised for example. PPA is our own time and highly valued by the HT, we are a great bunch of like minded staff making a good team and the children's progress reflects the efforts that we are making. There are low days of course but overall, it is a good place to be and we recognise that.
    Makes me worry about the next school I will work in though!

11. Flybee, you must have read my mind! I have just logged on to the forums to have a good old moan about how fed up I am this weekend!
    I'm in my second year of teaching and I'm fortunate that I'm not having bad observations or feedback on planning: in fact the feedback I'm getting at the moment is very positive and makes me feel like I am actually doing a good job. What is really, really getting me down, though, is the huge workload to keep everything going well.
    I usually spend both weekend days planning, marking, doing paperwork.... it's very rare that I manage to go out over the weekend or do anything that takes me away from planning for more than a couple of hours. We did actually go out last night, which meant I had to stop work at about 5.30pm, and caused a bit of a lie-in this morning. I woke up dreading spending the day planning and preparing resources, and just can't get myself disciplined and down to work.
    I've done a bit of work today, but I've stopped because I'm so exhausted and fed up. Today, I feel that I could just sit and cry: I spend so much "home" time working and planning, and the rest of it asleep. I fell asleep at just after 7 on Friday night and slept solidly for 14 hours!
    I know that by stopping work now I'll have to work harder in the evenings in the week, but I just can't face any more school work at the moment.
    I know I work in a very prescriptive school where monitoring and scrutiny are constant, but someone please tell me things get easier.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm not fed up with teaching, just with my school.

Last year I was in a different building (being in year 6) and not really aware of all the nastiness, bitchiness, negativity and just plain lying and whinging that seemingly goes on everywhere else. Drives me nuts and gets me down.

Management mostly unaware or unconcerned by it all...too busy fussing about inadequate teaching in parts of the school and impossible SATs targets. (Which is sort of fair enough really.)

But hey there will be a brilliant new job just perfect for me in a nice school with nice staff (I already have the nice children!) advertised one day soon...

13. roise

roise New commenter

Well run schools tend to have happier teachers. I love my job.

14. I feel exactly the same way and I am considering being a PPA teacher instead. It seems to me that if you are doing well the powers above just give you more responsibility and don't seem to realise how much of your personal life is being taken up keeping everything going.

I'm not in a perscriptive school myself but the fact that I am in the same position as someone who is says to me that no matter where you go it's the same old pressures and workload.

I've spoke to a few supply teachers who have all said the same thing being that they do supply because they were fed up of not having a life when teaching a class full time.

15. Msz

Not according to the powers that be ... low morale is a sign of good leadership apparently

quote from Michael Wilshaw
    A good head would never be loved by his or her staff, he added: "If anyone says to you that 'staff morale is at an all-time low' you know you are doing something right."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/jan/23/chief-inspector-schools-michael-wilshaw

16. And there was me considering going back to fulltime teaching.
    Oh.
    I love teaching, love the children, get on well with colleagues - but all the rubbish and lack of respect for all the behaviour-management, family nurturing needed in many schools etc etc etc from people who should know better is so demoralising.

17. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

There are lots of ups and downs around my personal teaching life at the moment, but I do still enjoy my job and strive for those fab lessons where the children are learning something and I feel like a "proper" teacher.
    It's not stopping me from looking for another job, but definitely in teaching and somewhere I can advance my teaching skills.

18. in 2nd yr of teaching... and yes fed up. HT has changed and is really stresssed out about OFSTED. Is being really picky with planning, so it is taking me hours again (worse than when a student) . Is grading everyone satisfactory in observations. Sooo depressing. No praise.
    Feel llike I am making mistakes and forgetting things because I am so stressed. Stopped enjoying it most of the time. Just hours of slog with Easter still 2 weeks away.