1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are most January starts temporary/maternity cover?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lady Spurs, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Are most January starts temporary/maternity cover or are there perm jobs that come up?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Maternity posts tend to crop up at irregular intervals, inevitably, so most Jan start posts will be staff who've handed in their notice by Oct 31st because they've moved on, though this doesn't preclude maternity leave posts.

3. I started a mat contract last September and then moved to a fixed term contract to August in January. I think a lot of school will be offering temp posts in January as they may wish to hedge their bets not knwoing what numbers/funding will be like come the following year. Temp contractscould lead to a perm post, so well orth considering. I was offered a post at the school I was working at but chose not to stay as it isn't the right school for me. I am now on a temp contract with a view to being made perm this year - numbers are going up and a couple of staff are looking for promotion so providing the school suits me it looks potentially good.
    There are very few perm contracts about at the moment and many I know who have got them in the last year or so have done so by taking a temp job first, so seriously, don't rule them out :)
    Hth

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, mat covers can start at any time - babies don't get born at regular three-month intervals to fit in with school terms!
    There are also staff who retire.
    So the posts may be permanent.
    Make sure you get ready for the adverts by reading all the advice on this Forum. This thread gives a lot of pointers to where you should be looking.
    NQT Science Teacher without a Job
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!

5. becky70

becky70 New commenter

In my area there are probably more temp jobs than perm jobs anyway but definitely when they are Jan starts.
    If you don't have a job at the moment I would definitely apply for temp jobs as well as perm.