1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are going to go to war with Iran?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by keyboard2, Jul 11, 2019.

1. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

Trump is edging his bets. Boris? Who knows but I think the UK would follow Trump's lead. France, too.

I have a little sympathy with Iran. Never invaded another country, protecting its territorial waters from soft invasion by USA and UK.

Not looking good.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And the UAE. The disagreement about Abu Musa (and the Greater and Lesser Tunb Islands) has been going on for decades.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

But has troops in action in Iraq and Syria, has sponsored Hezbollah and Hamas, has deployed Hazbollah into Iraq and Syria and has supported Houthi rebels against the legal government of Yemen.

I don't see what Iran has done that is so bad. /s

To be clear, I don't support any action against Iran that isn't proportionate to the actions of Iran itself.

4. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Are going to go to war with Iran?

Now we've taken back control... we'll do whatever Trump tells us.

Sorry - not trying to score points, it's "hedging" as in hedge funds. :oops:

sodalime likes this.
  5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Deployment of gunboats to impede a commercial tanker on an internationally agreed route through the Strait of Hormuz

They were told in no uncertain terms to bogger off - and off they boggered!

Thanks, folks:
    3FFACAD3-0A5E-452B-B144-294989131878.jpeg

6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Doesnt Iran owe France a huge amount of money? The best for us all would be if the geriatric fundamentalist leader of Iran was to die in the next few weeks and let the reformers take over. I doubt if hes even in full control of the country. Which of course makes the situation very dangerous.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Have to wonder why Iran is targeting one of the countries that is still a signatory to their nuclear deal?

Almost as if they want us to walk away from them ... then they can play the victim while going nuclear...

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It won't help Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

chelsea2 likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes... they have a hostage... should we modulate our foreign policy to account for their hostage taking?

12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

No, the Iranian tanker was. But if they can seize a British ship in retaliation, they lose less face and have a bargaining chip.

13. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

14. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

You think the "reformers" will have any more control over the Revolutionary Guards than the current government? I doubt it somehow.

15. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Not one of the better planned events:confused:
    Hopefully no-one is as complacent these days.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

if Boris 'I can't be a£sed to read my brief' Johnson hadn't been so lazy, maybe she'd be home and not a hostage there...o_O

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Please separate the leaders from the people of Iran. The is a big upsurge of young folks wishing to overthrow the strictures of Government in Iran. there seems little appetite for war amongst themThe actual people of Iran are kind and good.
    The fight is an ideological one of power broking....so the wars between Iraq and Iran in the past, when thousands of young men gave their lives 'for the country', almost to little effect. Let us not forget that Iran is now engaged in supporting one cause of Islam against another but it is inevitable the demands and stresses of such activities affect other nations.
    One thing is certain that Trump's attempts to force Iran to cower and comply with the use of sanction strengthens Iranian determination to tell the USA to bog off.

chelsea2 likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oscillatingass likes this.
  19. cuddlesB4

cuddlesB4 New commenter

What sort of proportionate action should be taken against the US for their malevolence? I take it you are consistent about that sort of thing?

iran.jpg

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You want to take military action against the USA?

Am I suppose to even take that seriously?

Oscillatingass likes this.