1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are GCSES/A levels important when applying for first teaching job?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jamwon, Mar 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jamwon

jamwon New commenter

Hello I am starting a secondary PGCE course this coming September for art and design. I am aware that most schools if not all, ask for your gcse and a level results when applying for a teaching position and I was wondering how much importance is put on these grades? I say this because A level grades were not very desirable.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

A levels only really come into consideration if you are teaching a subject outside of your area. In science the A levels are significant as your A levels in Chem Phys or Maths are important to fill the science timetable . It depends upon whether the timetable is wholly Art or whether you need to cover other subject areas.

3. IlMentore

IlMentore New commenter

Well, given that part of my job is apparently to 'support' the students in their English and Maths despite teaching neither, I was expected to at least show that I had A-C in those subjects.

I have a degree in and almost a decade of industry experience, so I was not too impressed to be asked to prove my GCSE grades before I could start teaching. Let's be diplomatic and call their interest 'diligence' rather than some of the other words I may have used.

Methinks perhaps that certain career academics overvalue words scrawled on paper and seek out more of the same rather than taking the risk of extrapolating that those with (let us say for example) physics degrees may have picked up a little related knowledge.

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

A levels can have an effect at some schools - I am aware of at least two schools who look at A level grades when shortlisting and making decisions about who to employ

5. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I have oodles of students in my classes who have degrees but no GCSEs. They have to get their GCSEs before being accepted on teacher training courses. I have also taught teachers who haven't got GCSEs and are made to get their English/Maths up to speed.
    I have met many teachers who have HE access rather than A levels.
    Sorry, but I have to be scrupulously fair: generally speaking, those with A levels, GCSEs etc tend to be more knowledgeable than those without. I cringe when I read some of the poor spelling and grammar in some staff e-mails. My heart sinks when a member of staff says 'Who was Einstein - never heard of him?'
    Alternatively, there are qualification snobs who never stop boasting about how clever they are and how many qualifications they have. These can be a pain in the butt too.

wanet likes this.