1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are families welcome??

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by dluck1, May 22, 2011.

1. Hi i am thinking of applying to teach in the middle east. My question is i have a family 2 kids (17 and 2) are most of these jobs for the singles? Is the accommodation in general suitable for a family? Any thoughts on areas i keep hearing Qatar but it sounds a bit of a lottery with school and im not a gambling man although im willing to take a certain amount of risk.

2. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Yes, most schools in the Middle East do employ teachers with families. Some schools provide villas or large apartments, but some do not. You need to do your homework as to which schools are worth working at. You could start by joining the ISR.

3. Thanks for the info. ISR sorry could you let me know what that is? I have been on Qatar living and it seems petroleum schools may be the way forward.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

What would your 17 year old do?

5. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

What does any 17 year do?

6. ISR = International Schools Review. Google it.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I was thinking on the lines that most 17 year olds quickly become 18 year olds. He would then be too old to be at school, so what were the OP's plans for their son.
    If he couldn't get a job where they were that might cause problems for them.

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Also the rules on sponsorhip vary for male and female offspring in some Gulf countries.
    A female offspring is eligible for sponsorship at any age under the parents visa, whereas a male offspring cannot be sponsored after the age of 18 under the parents visa in some countries.

9. [​IMG] Try answering that one again.

10. [​IMG]
    How about, 'very few schools in the ME are happy to employ families'? Teaching couples are gloriously accepted but even some of the good schools say 'but please don't have kids yet!'
    My school is very family friendly (even one parent families - beat that you prejuditious, pretentious, wannabe educational monoliths... [​IMG])
    Actually, we have virtually non-parent families but not on the staff and that's another issue, if you get m'drift..