1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are emoticons better than words?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spanakopita, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

How long have they been in existence? Are they like hieroglyphs or cave scratchings? Do they 'emote' successfully?

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

'Better' by what criteria?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Do they convey meaning and nuance better?

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

'Better' by what criteria? - if you mean by encapsulated a meaning or nuance in fewer key strokes, then yes. If you mean in absolute terms, then no, a well crafted phrase will always convey meaning and nuance more precisely than some punctuation ever will.

6. [​IMG]

7. Dunno. No. No.

cyolba, next question please :)

8. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I understand why you have posed this question, it must be partly in response to something I wrote earlier on another thread. I seem to have caused you some offence by not understanding that what you had written was meant in a "jokey" way, sadly (for some people) I don't really understand jokes that are written down as I can't see the person's face and therefore the emotion they are trying to convey.
    In turn I can't write jokes and have other people find them funny, so I use one of the emoticon buttons or ;) to show that it was meant in a lighthearted way.

9. Emoticons and other visual/linguistic sleights of hand only work if there is a common understnading of their meaning. for instance, this works well in the UK and USofA:
    [​IMG]
    But, in Italy, this is considered to be rather rude:
    [​IMG]

The trouble with emoticons is that they are a relatively recent invention, and each cultural group has adopted them to have different (or multiple) meanings. Thus, whilst some can be taken at face value (eg: [​IMG] ).

cyolba, musing on whether he can get a grant to do a thesis on this topic :)

10. Emoticons serve me well, as do punctuation marks. I think my words are often embellished by the little yellow faces.
    I am a one for multiple exclamation or question marks to express exasperation/anger. These do nicely as well....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You have caused me no offence whatever. I started the thread because I thought it was interesting. I do think that in posts and emails it is hard to convey nuance and that emoticons are a way of encapsulating tone although it is not always clear to me what they mean.

12. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I'm relieved that that is the case.
    I agree, which is why I use them and struggle sometimes to understand another poster's meaning if they haven't used one (as you can see I tend to assume they are being serious rather than jokey).
    Also agree, but used together I usually understand the intention.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I am sorry that I caused you to think that you had upset me!

14. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I have a high regard for your posts and so when I read your comment I assumed that I had pissed you off with my "fluffiness". No harm done, nutella.

15. I like nutella too, especially on a naked body...

cyolba, finding a tone, then lowering it :)

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Does the middle one mean that you wear false eyelashes, Archy? And the last mean that you feel seasick?

17. Is the middle one short for "Look out for birdshit?"
    Is the last one someone blowing a whistle?

cyolba, easily confuddled :)

18. Quicker - perhaps.
    Particularly if struggling to find the right words .....

19. I find that this one generally encapsulates in one little banana what it would take a whole sentence of typing to express.
    [​IMG]